Virgin Hyperloop One

Virgin Hyperloop One Employee Review

View all Virgin Hyperloop One reviews

The team at my location was a joy to be around and work with
Procurement Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 20, 2018
I loved working at my location. However - the corporate site was less appealing. Once they decided we could make the hyperloop an actual reality they no longer needed us. So without warning they came in and shut us down. Then proceeded to talk negatively about us to the public. Very unprofessional in my opinion.
Pros
Getting involved in something new and revolutionary
Cons
Once we proved it could happen we were no longer needed

Other Virgin Hyperloop One Employee Reviews

Good free independent work environment.
Senior Quality Control Metrology Inspector (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 28, 2020
Overall experience was extremely good! However, Virgin Hyperloop One was, and still is in the category of a startup. So I was constantly worrying if the company was going to make it.
Hyperloop is happening, but it's a moonshot with all its pros and cons
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 6, 2019
Pros:
+ mission: you get to build the new mode of transportation (imagine being a train inventor 100y ago)
+ world-class leaders in Hyperloop Tech development while the competition is mainly just talking, VHO are the only ones that have tested it already in 2017 in Nevada Desert (google Devloop test track)
+ its a Virgin company: very good work-life balance and work culture (unlimited PTO, dog-friendly office, snacks, lunches on-site)
+ in progress of building multiple new tracks and test rigs, advancing the technology, things are happening month-to-month
+ engineers are very capable and mostly all excited about the same thing: helping to build Hyperloop.
+ you'll get to build things from scratch with the newest tools (no legacy systems)
+ "move fast and break things" ( with an exception to safety)
+ very international, people from all over the world (mostly US and Canada though) and have offices in Dubai.
+ you get to present you work on different conferences
+ people are super friendly, prepare for numerous birthday parties, donuts in the office every now and then, and just happy people around
+ no office politics (though there has been some a year ago but they let the toxic ppl go)
+ very flat structure, open office, you get to interact with CTO and CEO every day (even though we're > 200 ppl)

Cons:
- the business is based on private/public partnership, and these projects tend to be long to establish which is frustrating
- you're NOT gonna get paid like FANG ( just a fair compensation +- 10%)
- no 401k match or cash bonuses
- as a full time you get the
  more... options for pre-IPO stocks (= you spend your own money to buy them, you don't get them as bonus, and they might be worthless in the future with so many rounds of funding)
- growing pains: couple of very junior people were made managers and were not prepared for that
- its a startup, you never know whats gonna happen in 6mo