University of Auckland

University of Auckland Employee Reviews

India2 reviews
A typical day would start from the briefing from the out going Shift while handing and taking over the duties with in-formations,like tasking ,actions ,followups of older or previous ones.Any out standing issues and concerns to be followed and security.
That was daily fresh challenging task with each day in different situation and sector .

The co-workers being from variety of cultures and ethnicity but loving and co-operative despite being from different back grounds were supportive ,caring ,understanding each other which made the work place interesting and enjoying place .

The hardest part used to be to cover other sectors when suddenly some one would fall sick or not available for the scheduled work.

The appropriate strength and spare week's extra staff available .
Pros
lunches and refreshments etc
Cons
some time long hours unscheduled
A typical tutoring day would involve an hour block to review the in-course lectures, and ensure everyone in attendance had advanced understanding of the main lecture points which would allow them to excel in the end of year exam.

Sometimes this would involve inviting the lecturers in to the class to personally answer any questions the students had which would take place over a special two hour block session.

Personally I am not much of a public speaker so the hardest part of the job was articulating the appropriate delivery of information to so many different people; with the aim that they would all understand what I say as everyone learns differently. My partner tutor and I approached this with use of electronic resources such as overhead projectors, print outs and explanatory diagrams on the blackboard.

I was lucky to have an experienced co-worker which was able to fill in for my short comings when it came to public speaking, alongside my sound knowledge of the paper we were teaching (fresh in my mind having taken the paper the previous year), we were a great team and the majority of our students achieved above average marks.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the benefits of providing not only a tutoring service, but a small community within our class which encouraged friend making amoungst the students and the tutors, this allowed free opinion for the students without judgement or destructive criticism, and contributed to an enjoyable working environment for my co-tutor and myself.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Auckland?