The Nature Conservancy Employee Reviews

Hyenas and red-bellied piranhas
EA to CFO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 10, 2019
If you want to experience mental asylum by all means work here, especially the Finance department.
The management so insecure about themselves that if they see or feel a new employee gaining popularity, the fangs come out immediately.
They believe its 16th century and slavery is still acceptable.
The best workplace and job culture
Consultant Engineer (Former Employee) –  MexicoOctober 9, 2019
Excellent work environment, the environmental programs (water, land, oceans, etc) often have inclusive and flexible directors that promote continuous improvement and leadership
Pros
home office or remote office, multidisciplinary teams
Only work here if you’re into torture
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2019
What a great cause it is! But the cast-based culture, lack of leadership, disorganized processes and systems and the EXTREMELY heavy workload makes this place somewhat nightmarish. I’ve had many jobs in my lifetime, and this one is by far the craziest most hectic place I’ve ever worked. Not only that, but when you complain to management, you’re told to just suck it up or be more flexible.
Unprofessional, no job security
Conservation (Former Employee) –  CanadaSeptember 25, 2019
Management is disorganized, lacks direction and commitment.
Unprofessional conduct of leadership team.
Stay away if you are looking for job security and professional work place.
Excellent organization to work for!
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 23, 2019
Great mission. Great staff. Good work life balance.
The organization is loyal to its employees and makes an effort to retain talent. It's great to help save the world every day.
The best NGO
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  BandungSeptember 21, 2019
Lingkungan yg nyaman dan jenjang karir serta pengembangan diri yang baik.
Watch out for wolves in sheep's clothing!
marketing and development (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan, CanadaSeptember 15, 2019
Such a disappointment for an organization that ultimately is trying to save the planet. I would not recommend working for this organization unless you are fresh out of university and looking for a summer job. They let me go during my probationary period with no explanation whatsoever. Unprofessional and untrustworthy.
A great company to grow and learn from.
MARKETING & PROJECT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 31, 2019
It's an amazing place to grow and learn from. If you love the environment, then this is a good place to start. You never know what you're going to expect or may end up along the road, but just know you're making a difference in the world.
Great land trust
Land Steward (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 14, 2019
TNC's mission, staff, and benefits make it a great land trust to work for. There is no typical day for Stewardship staff; the role includes managing a variety of projects, overseeing nature preserves, monitoring conservation easements, hiring contractors, and overseeing staff or volunteers. The pay may be lower than for-profit companies but it is rewarding to work for an innovative organization that attempts to bridge the political divide with economically viable solutions to major environmental issues.
Friendly and engrossing
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley, ONJune 23, 2019
I was a volunteer for Nature Conservancy Canada and helped remove invasive Garlic Mustard plants in Happy Valley. We were first told what the plants looked like and how to remove them and then we were led into the valley. You did have to bend down a lot to pull up the plants from the roots but everybody was really friendly and genuinely cared about the state of Ontario's biodiversity.
Great Organization
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 29, 2019
What a great organization! I felt like I was a part of an effective team working with TNC. I also felt like my ideas and thoughts were considered when it was time for suggestions.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, workplace culture, advancement
June 11, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! At TNC, you can do well and do good at the same time by supporting our critical mission. I'm so pleased you enjoyed working for us! Wish you all the best!

The best job I've ever had
LEAF Mentor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2019
It saddens me that this program doesn't exist anymore. Thos job gave me my first job opportunity in my field. I was able to work with young women from different backgrounds. We did amazing environmental work.
Pros
Great housing, car provided, outdoors, fun days off
April 30, 2019

I appreciate your feedback and certainly understand your sadness. I'm glad participating in the LEAF program was fulfilling and rewarding for you in the field of conservation. Thank you for your time!

Summer Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Poultney, VTMarch 1, 2019
This is a great Summer Internship for high school students and it has potential to have a possible future career with the company or its its partners.
March 11, 2019

We are thrilled you enjoyed your internship with TNC! We hope it provided you with valuable skills and experiences. All the best in your future endeavors!

Tnc
Maintenance Worker | LEAF (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAFebruary 3, 2019
Such a great experience. Once in a lifetime, I grew so much as a person and was able to face my fears. Challenges you to be a bigger person and be more open minded.
March 12, 2019

Gee, thanks! Your comments make our day! Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Mis-management
Restoration Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ILJanuary 25, 2019
I worked there for 11 years and loved my job and felt that it was making a difference. I worked hard, held volunteer work days, was very competent and dedicated to my work, working 6 days a week. The manager/supervisor never came out to the field to see mine or other's work, sat in an office goofing off on the computer or lying on a couch reading. And yet he was supposed to be supervising, writing evaluations about our work, participating in field work. Nope. In 2017 they hired another lazy bum who, though he at least was outside, wandered around all day looking at the pretty flowers while others did the field work. We'd see him walking around, by himself when he was supposed to be with, and supervising seasonal staff. His supervisor even joked about this guy smoking dope. And the answer we got from our supervisor, "it doesn't matter that we take money for work that doesn't get done, no one ever checks". Thus began the decline of the preserves. Unfortunately our complaints fell on deaf ears so we complained to our supervisor's manager, who also did nothing. In fact, they promoted the wanderer! Apparently he brown-nosed the right people while I was out working in the field. The workplace culture was one of mistrust, mismanagement, complacency, and no integrity. The morale was at an all-time low when I finally couldn't take any more. I had to walk away from a job I loved because The Nature Conservancy does not care about conservation. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make because I honestly cared about the preserves. They only care about money and image.
Benefits
Cons
Mismanagement
March 11, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to creating a collaborative and performance-based culture at TNC, so I feel incredibly disheartened and disappointed to hear about some of your experience. While your experiences working for us weren't ideal, thank you for caring about nature and working to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. If you would like to discuss further, please email me at recruiting@tnc.org.

Productive ,fun work place, friendly environment
Employer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2019
Learned so many great things from mentors and friends,also taught me life lessons. If I could work with them again I would without hesitation. My experience with the Nature Conservancy was something to remember.
March 11, 2019

Gee, thanks! We appreciate you taking the time to write a review! At The Nature Conservancy, you can do well and do good at the same time by supporting our critical mission. We wish you all the best in your professional career!

Great Learning Environment, Wonderful People
Great Salt Pond GLOBE Intern (Former Employee) –  New Shoreham, RIJanuary 12, 2019
I greatly enjoyed my time at the Nature Conservancy. I met people truly passionate about the environment and had the opportunity to work with them everyday. It was an unforgettable experience that I cherish!
Pros
Provided Housing
March 11, 2019

We are pleased to hear that you feel we are reaching above and beyond when it comes to conservation, as this is very important to us as an organization. Thank you for positive your input and congratulations on your successful internship experience with the Globe Program!

Amazing work, amazing co-workers
Regional Connectivity Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, WIJanuary 3, 2019
The work TNC does is varied, so there's not really a "typical day." However, every day brings something new and exciting. The people who work here are all amazing and great to work with. Most roles offer advancement opportunities, but some areas (mainly science-focused) have a big gap in opportunities for entry level employees to move up to a mid-level position.
March 11, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your career with TNC! I also feel the same - every day is different, but exciting! You can definitely feel the passion from colleagues all working to achieve our great mission! We hope you are taking advantage of our professional development opportunities, such as the newly designed Learning & Development Programs!

Saving the Planet? Killing the Employees
Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 1, 2018
Employees work long hours without life work balance
Management is cliquish and withholding
They don't walk the talk
Weak state director without rudder
Hardest part of the job is moving from planning to action
There are some nice, committed people there
March 21, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. TNC is dedicated to creating a culture that's collaborative and that’s what sets us apart from other organizations. We recently rolled out Facebook Workplace to help with that and I know Mark Tercek makes a point to state that we should voice our opinions and hold senior leaders accountable. I'm very sorry to hear of your experiences! Please email me at recruiting@tnc.org if you would like to discuss further. I'm committed to helping you in any way that I can.

Finance Department is the worst
Executive Assistant to the CFO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 30, 2018
Finance is the worst department to work for. STAY FAAR FAR FAR away especially from Finance. Some of the worst individuals ever starting with upper management. Senior managers are bullies. You will feel attacked any chance they get. Everyone that has been there long will tell you how unhappy they are, everyone has a story. Some people stick around because they want to retire and others have bills to pay. Be prepared to be overworked, never thanked, and treated like hot garbage. Also, they waste a lot of time on many meetings which the rest of the organization laughs about behind their back, so unnecessary. Everyone in the organization knows what a pile of garbage finance is and they talk about it openly during lunch. But, senior hr keeps quiet because they think senior management in finance has been there long enough + is doing a good job. Simply put: finance senior management does not care about its employees yet expects them to act like a bunch of yes men and it is all good as long as they agree to work like slaves while being treated like garbage.

However, other departments seem to have sane people. Just stay away from Finance, it is a revolving door.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Nature Conservancy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3