The Entertainer Employee Reviews

Worst place to work breahead store
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Braehead, GlasgowAugust 19, 2019
I was working at the new store in breahead but it’s not as good as they make out the targets are stupid to try and hit on four hour shifts also two managers used to talk about other people and working 5 days a week for a part job with different hours is ridiculous
August 20, 2019

Thank you for sending us your review.
We are sad to read the points you have raised and would like to discuss these further with you. Please can you contact us via recruitment@theentertainer.com

Brilliant company to work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Meadowhall, South YorkshireJune 23, 2019
I've been with the entertainer for a short while now, each day has been a new experience and I have learned a lot in my time there so far. I have fun doing what I do and sharing my knowledge with customers on what makes a good toy choice.

My colleague's are the nicest bunch, able to have some banter with them and they are more than willing to help me out.

I think the hardest part of the job is that sometimes, even in a toy shop you can get those customers who are rather unpleasant, comes with the territory I suppose though.

But overall I love my time working here, best job I've ever had!
July 2, 2019

Thank you for your review. We are happy to see you are having a positive experience working with us.

Hard work over Christmas but nice workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  EssexJune 5, 2019
Very hard at Christmas time and lots expected of you in very little time. Very stressful. Good company and a good ethos - Happy to help when needed. I had a good team which was the best part.
July 2, 2019

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to see you found us a good company to work for along with a good ethos.

Got the job done with no hassle.
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Harlow, EssexMay 31, 2019
Managers and supervisors were friendly as well as the colleagues. Manageable times and worked around my life schedule perfectly. Payment was adequate.
Pros
Allowed personal time
Cons
Didn't have a problem.
June 3, 2019

Thank you for your review. We are happy to see you have rated working with us 5/5 stars!

Wish i was there longer
Christmas temp (Former Employee) –  Northampton, NorthamptonshireMay 27, 2019
I really enjoyed my time at The Entertainer. The management was pretty good overall, you could talk to them about anything. Wish my time there was longer, however it obviously wasn't meant to be.
Pros
Good management
Cons
So driven on add-ons, can seem very pushy when you have to offer so many different products for every transaction.
June 3, 2019

Thank you for your review. Your feedback has been noted and if you would like to discuss any of the points you have raised further, please email recruitment@theentertainer.com

Awful-bullied by Management
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Worcester, WorcestershireMay 19, 2019
I was a Christmas temp over the Christmas period just gone. There were around 15 members of staff at the store I worked for. About half were permanent and half temporary. After joining I was very aware about how one of the managers treated the staff. At first I just thought that she may be joking when making snide comments about some of the permanent staff or rolling her eyes when someone would ring the bell for assistance (which we have to do for refunds etc). After, a few weeks this particular manager was not in one day and that’s when I started to hear what the permanent staff had to say about her. Let’s just say she was not liked.

She fine with the temps at first but as the season went on and we all were doing extra shifts she became more aggressive (eye rolling, shoving and threatening to terminate contracts if we didn’t reach targets). This was a lot of pressure. Especially for the couple of temps that were in the middle of there studies having to finish uni and come in to be bullied. With a few years previously working in retail I was able to brush it off better. But, there were few occasions where they would burst into tears from her aggressive and bullying behaviour. Due to this behaviour I know one of the lads didn’t turn up for work because he didn’t want to put up with it.

To be honest my experience at the entertainer would of been 100x better without this manager as everyone else apart of the team were lovely and welcoming. But, whenever she was in she constantly dragged peoples moods down and intimidated them.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Manager
May 21, 2019

Thank you for your review.

Your feedback has been noted and we have passed on this information to the relevant departments. We would like to discuss this further with you. Please can you email recruitment@theentertianer.com

fun work place
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carmarthen, CarmarthenshireApril 8, 2019
good place to work if u like kids. learnt to use a till. bad uniform. closed on Sunday which was annoying as I only wanted to work weekends. hardest part of the job was being around annoying kids
Pros
fun
Cons
very busy
April 15, 2019

Thank you for sending us your review. Your feedback has been noted and we are pleased to see its a fun workplace for you.
If you would like to discuss any of the points you have raised further, please can you email us via Recruitment@theentertainer.com

Extremely positive environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  NottinghamApril 8, 2019
A typical day at The Entertainer feels really productive, you get given the opportunity to work in many different aspects of retail such as customer service, till operation, demo's, stock replenishment which adds more excitement to your day so you don't bore of the same repetitive task. Management sticks to your contracted hours and only give you overtime if you have already agreed. Management is ever so lovely and thoroughly supportive, if you make a mistake they help you to fix it, they won't shout at you or belittle you. The only downside is the horrible customers, but that is no fault of The Entertainers. There are so many ways to progress at the store with many online courses you can take in order to improve knowledge and pay. I am thanked for my time after every single one of my shifts. I highly recommend a career at The Entertainer.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Rude customers sometimes
April 15, 2019

Thank you for sending us your review. We are happy to see you find it an extremely positive environment working with us.

Enjoyable work environment
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Poole, DorsetMarch 17, 2019
I worked at the Poole branch for a few months as a Christmas temp and enjoyed it for the most part. I primarily stacked shelves and took stock after the store had closed and the managers were understanding when I had to change my hours last minute due to school commitments. I had good rapport with my coworkers and my higher ups and the salary was around £7.20, which was very good.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Shelf stacking can get dull
March 19, 2019

Thank you for sending us a review. We are happy to see you enjoyed working in our store in Poole.

Very nice place to work
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  ColchesterFebruary 26, 2019
I worked here as a Christmas temporary sales assistant and overall the job was lovely.
Most staff members was friendly, always overtime to do if your looking for more hours over Christimas and shop floor is busy and always something to do (especially on Saturdays!)

Assistant manger liked to think they was the manger though as was rude at times, same with some employees when mangers weren’t around.

Only negative thing is you knew what you was working the following week every Saturday which wasn’t much noticed and never had the same days off only on sundays which wasn’t convenient as I never knew what I was doing and was unable to book important appointments
Pros
Good working hours and friendly team
Cons
Not much notice for a weeks work
March 4, 2019

Thank you for sending us your review. We are happy to hear you found our team friendly and had good working hours.
Your feedback has been noted and if you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to contact us via Recruitment@theentertainer.com

Difficult workplace
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, HertfordshireFebruary 26, 2019
A lot of pressure over Christmas. You're expected to put them ahead of everything else. The manager at the time ignored my medical conditions and placed me in the warehouse when they knew my asthma would make that dusty warehouse a very uncomfortable experience.

Management also told me I was never meant to be hired, I was never their first choice. So all morale was gone that day. A lot of stress for not much money.
March 4, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. Your feedback is important to us and has been noted. We are sad to hear you found it a difficult workplace and would like to discuss this further with you. Please can you email Recruitment@theentertainer.com to discuss this further.

Wonderful but clique-based
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  LivingstonFebruary 2, 2019
I worked at the Entertainer in Livingston for about 6 months. At first I loved it, it was fun and the managers were really friendly and understanding. However, after my first month, there was a lot of drama as one colleague got depression and there were people who were looking down on him for that, I think one person (who was incredibly helpful to me) defended him. Anyway, me being new, did not want to engage in this drama which turned the clique originally against him against me. The leader of said clique proceeded to bully me so badly I considered quitting and got into counselling, as she was a more permenant and experienced member of staff the managers trust her more and she ensures that it's only her clique which moves forward. Worst day of the job I got physically assaulted by a customer who complained about me (I was crying cause of the bullying) and the managers told me how no one liked me in the workplace so I had a panic attack on the shop floor. This was a toy shop at Christmas. Beware of cliques.
Pros
Really understanding, wonderful management
Cons
Managers are manipulated by staff and taken advantage of, clique based mentalities.
February 4, 2019

Thank you for the time you have taken to send us your review. Your feedback has been noted and if you would like to discuss this further please contact us via Recruitment@theentertainer.com

Fun experiance
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West YorkshireJanuary 24, 2019
I really enjoyed my time at the Entertainer, they have a great work ethic and environment. I also improved on a lot of my personal skills when I worked there such as; time management, communication, problem solving etc.
Great company , Great management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, CardiffJanuary 14, 2019
I had two seperate occasions working as a sales assistant for the Entertainer . My most recent occasion working as Christmas crew and I must say I had a brilliant time . The company are very organised and a pleasure to work for .

I worked in the Cardiff branch and have to mention Jan Preece my manager . He was very helpful from the start and his organisational skills were next to none.
A great manager which the Entertainer should be proud of having .

I would recommend anyone to work for the Entertainer. The experience you can get is well worth it.
Pros
Use of staff room, great laughs
Cons
Can be stressful during xmas but all part of the fun
Entertainer Staines
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, SurreyDecember 28, 2018
Management walking round all day doing nothing and hiding upstairs when we need people on the shop floor during busy Xmas period. Staff are friendly and the customer assistants make the job enjoyable, but the power the managers think they have over them is horrible.

Also no career prospects here.
Pros
20% Discount
Amazing Place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, LincolnshireDecember 9, 2018
My overall review of The Entertainer toy shop, is that I couldn't have thought of a better place to do my work experience in 2016. They were so welcoming and make be feel like part of the team with all the jobs i didn't which I was there for a work. If I was ever stuck on a job that I was given, they made it clear that it was okay to ask for help.
Pros
great partnership
Cons
no cons
Enjoyable, however poor management
Part Time Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  BanburyNovember 14, 2018
Typically, work varies day to day - depending on customers, deliveries, etc. - but you are usually kept busy with tasks. I have learned a great deal and have developed professionally a lot whilst working there. The store manager, however, is the one thing dragging morale and the atmosphere down. We (as a team) have had many issues with her - which have been brought up with higher management - and nothing has changed or been effective. I do believe that most other stores have a positive workplace and that we may be one of the few anomalies.

However, meeting customers - learning about their needs and fulfilling them - is very rewarding, especially when you begin meeting regular customers and can really tailor the service to them. Personally, I have also really enjoyed participating in costume visits and fun days and helping make children's days better. The hardest part is, for me at least, the management style and the obstacles I have faced and overcome - however this is something that has developed me and made me a better professional person.

Overall, we have a really positive team and the atmosphere is usually very good - the team is very close and we help each other as much as possible.
Pros
Staff discount, flexibility with shifts, team and customer friendliness
Cons
Repetitive jobs, long hours, hard manual work
Horrendous!
In 2016, I did work experience in retail (Former Employee) –  ScunthorpeSeptember 5, 2018
Was only there on a work trial but will never go into that store again. The management was full of bullies and talked to me like I was stupid despite the fact I am in my 50's
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Terrible management
Nice place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  ScunthorpeSeptember 1, 2018
Caring company with staff discount available.
Merchandising and tablet sales are a big part of the job with customer service at the forefront of their goals.
Will be on your feet all day.
Expected to be able to communicate well with children and parents.
productive and fun work environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  CarlisleJuly 17, 2018
I didn't want to leave it was only the contract that meant i had to.
The people I worked around were amazing and the shop was run really well. I enjoyed helping people find their way and the demonstrations were really fun and did actually help to boost sales.
Pros
friendly work environment
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Entertainer. Our community is ready to answer.