Teach For India

Teach For India Employee Reviews

India70 reviews
Engaging work and makes you grow as a person. Working in Teach for India makes us understand life and life skills together. We work with empathy and compassion. Situations could be stressful as we work closely with ground reality but the sense of possibility to deal it with togetherness is high. Though the fellow payscale is less, I am happy to work and learn here.
Pros
Workspace Culture
Cons
Dynamicities
TFI is a great company that values each of its members. It aims at creating a family of people who will work together to make the lives of underprivileged children better. A supportive and accommodative work culture, where you are constantly challenged to make the most of the available resources. Requires a lot of thinking on your feet and working with many stakeholders.
The fellowship is only for those people who believe in bringing a change through education. It gave me the opportunity to understand the problems with the education system and my role in solving them.
It is a great place with an enormous impact on the society. Since its a non profit organisation, it was a unique experience for me where people believed in the work they were doing. It was more than just work for them.
Working in a Non- Government organisation is fun as you get to see how the other half of the world lives. My job was mainly to teach the underprivileged children until the 10th grade. Teaching them subjects like- Science, Maths, Language (English, Hindi, Marathi), History, Geography, Art & Craft. The objective was to bring up the level of government education in India via an NGO (Teach for India) to the convent school level.
It is a very encouraging environment at Teach for India. Everybody works at Teach for India for self-satisfaction and It provides a very open culture
It might seem to an applicant that the fellowship is intended to give you an experience of teaching in a classroom, but my learnings were not limited to teaching but very holistic which helped me to understand the challenges of the education system, all the while enabling me to take on those challenges.
The internal team does not influence the work much. The days are packed as the first half is engaged in the school and second half in community engagement.
Though I am unsure if it was just my team manager who was bad at her management or its the whole of Teach For India team culture, I would recommend not to get too flustered by the big name as from inside its still the same, however revolutionary it might project itself.
The culture is great, the people are great and are very passionate about bringing about change. There is an enormous scope for learning and growth so would totally recommend it to young people starting off in their careers but for mid career professionals who want to have a good work life balance and focus on your family as well as your career this may not be a great place.
Just by virtue of the kind of work they do, it is hard, challenging and exciting and consumes a large part of your work and personal life
Teach for India lets an individual develop personally and professionally by providing effective training, guidance and support.
The culture of the organization is very positive and friendly.

The learnings would be immense!

If you are looking to work on yourself and work with multiple stakeholders at the same time, to solve challenges at a grassroot level, then this is a great platform for you!
Working as a HR intern at TFI was one of the most rewarding experiences ever. You get a chance to meet and talk to incredibly inspiring people from all walks of life who are driven to make a social impact. My public speaking skills were honed during my time at TFI.
Good NGO with dedicated volunteers. Those interested in utilizing their Saturday mornings and spend time with children can join this NGO . This NGO is organised and I think you will enjoy working with them
Volunteering for Teach for India was one of the best decisions I made as a Grad student. Being able to teach and interact with young children and understanding their way of life was just so amazing.
the workplace is excellent. the finance team was super cofortable and helpul to worlk with.the mission and vision of the company is was motivated me to work for this ngo.
A typical day at work includes waking up at around 5 in the morning, revising and going through the day's plans. Reaching the school that is assigned to you at around 7 in the morning. Setting up the class, meeting the parents and talking to them about their child's progress and attendance. Convincing them that it is better to send their kids to school than to have them sitting at home and taking care of their siblings or doing the household chores. Addressing the school and motivating the teachers, parents, students and even ourselves.
Start teaching from 8;30 AM to 2:00 PM. During that time period you execute the lesson plans you have made the night before. See what went right and what you could have done better. After the school ends you meet your program manager and get your plans reviewed for the next day. After that you go to work on the other projects that you are working on which may be with your peers or on your own like a community center for the students. You manage it in every way possible from managing the financials to managing the staff and keeping the place running. Most of the time you and your friends are the staff along with some parents of some students that you teach. Once you are done with this you go for your training sessions where you are taught new and effective ways to teach and combat situations that may arise during the same. After a hard day's work you go back home relax a bit and start planning for the next day.

Some of the things that I learnt from working at Teach For India are:

1.Management skills,

2.How
 - more...
Pros
Access and Exposure, You will get to meet really amazing people and do really amazing things.
Cons
Uncertain hours, Low salary
I worked with low income schools of Ahmedabad,India. It was a permanent job and I was responsible for making changes to the curriculum, following up students progress and creating appropriate lesson plans for their advancements. Also initiated fund raisers to help the school raise money for the classroom and supplies for the school.
Pros
social work, making a difference, great work environment, working with like minded people.
Cons
extremely time consuming and less pay than would suffice.
I still remember my day one, when I entered my school apprehensive and the way I was treated by few students who immediately came towards me to give me a helping hand to carry my belongings. That day on wards, each day I feel excited to go to school and meet my bunch of school students everyday as they form the reason and motivate me throughout to keep my journey on.

My vision for them lies in a famous proverb said for ‘Traveling’ : It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. Likewise I want my students to shape their vision for life that would help them to create the best stories for their life. I would want them to embody values such as compassion, passion for work, be responsible, show love and care for each other and help them grow as good citizens for tomorrow.

I have visualized immense growth and investment in the students toward their studies and class values from past year. I believe that education has to be holistic which includes many other activities like learning with sports, music, dance, arts etc. For this I conduct art attack session every Saturday where they get the chance to explore different areas of learning and teaching like, making best out of waste, dance, sports etc.

I want to continue to explore more paths and give the best options to my students for progress. This journey has given me challenges and the grit to overcome it and transform myself towards leadership in educational equity.
Pros
Reimbursement of expenses made for children
Cons
Teach for India had a very unique work culture. The organization is open minded and new ideas are encouraged. High work ethics and opportunity to grow professionally is abundant.
Pros
great culture, best training, plenty of opportunities
Cons
Way too much work, limited remuneration
Satisfactory, you only join TFI if you are driven to bring about a change yourself. It's a very challenging job that requires your full 24 hours. Don't join if you want a smooth sailing work life.
One can network a lot while in Teach For India. Great place if you really want to do something for the society. People are helpful and stay in touch to help you in future.