Smiths Detection Employee Reviews

Great place and great people
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJanuary 30, 2019
During my years at Smiths Detection I ran the model shop with another coworker. I was able to work with all engineers in a variety of projects. I was able to also work with the maintenance dept assisting with the production of tools or items needed for our company while holding the presidency of the union for many years. I am very proficient in welding, molding, trouble shooting and all skills that make me an expert in my field. Please refer to my resume for specifics. I truly enjoy difficult close tolerance assignments and collaborating with others.
One of my biggest priorities is providing great Customer service for internal and external customers.
Pros
Union benefits
Cons
expensive health benefits however my wife carries our benefits
Une vision courtermiste
Commerciale sédentaire (Former Employee) –  Vitry-sur-Seine (94)January 16, 2019
Une cellule commerciale avec très forte ambition avec un excellent et brillant directeur commercial à sa tête.
Mais cette entreprise dispose d’une vision des évènements et des solutions à très court terme, en apportant des solutions à l’instant T sans prendre en considération les possibles avancements du lendemain.
Une recherche de solution à la hâte et selon les envies managérial des responsables de pôle.
great place to work
Sr. HR Generalist (Shared Service Center) (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJJanuary 10, 2019
great place to work, I learned alot in my career here. Found my mentor and we are still in contact. Most of my back office HR experience. I learned here.
Toxic Workplace culture full of bullies and yes men - where engineering goes to die
Engineering (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, HertfordshireDecember 31, 2018
Pros
Future tech run by others outside of this site is better

Cons

full of bullies and people who have been in the industry for too long and have not kept there skills up to date. Continues improvement showed promise but was implemented by idiots and has shown little benefit that isn't from the massaging of numbers. Engineering department is run by people who did phd in science years ago and haven't done much else since - hint they definitely don't know about engineering and it is bloody shocking . This is a place where engineering goes to die, even working in starts ups i have not seen such a level of staff turnover due to poor management and treatment. 1 to 10 manager staff ratio, it feels like 10-1 but the mangers they have can't cope so they have to bring in silly rules rather than refreshing the workforce. project mangers are the most incompetent that i have ever had the displeasure of working with, massive slips hidden, no idea of knock on effects, no idea how to plan and they always duck and cover. way to much interference from the vast quantities of VPs and other warm bodies that are employed stateside, I have no idea what they all do (head of toxic culture 1-10 if i had to guess). The only reason people stay here is because by the time you have been here for 2-3 years your skills will have fallen behind your pears in the industry and people get trapped or they are the bullies. to be clear since i started most of the people that started after me have left. It is really really bad.

Advice to Management

engineering service and manufacture are a shambles.
  more... clear out middle management, end the data-less fear driven insecure ill justified and not documented approach to decision making . Refresh the staff its not 1970!  less
Pros
Future tech run by others outside of this site is better
Cons
toxic culture full of people who have been over promoted
High technical skill set required
FIELD SERVICE ENGINEER II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 29, 2018
Great opportunity to work with skilled technicians. Fast paced and sometimes dangerous work environment. Good local employment but misplaced management culture. Focus on the appearance of safety as opposed to actual employee safety.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Advancement opportunities and poor management.
Great Work Enviroment
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TN 37701October 16, 2018
It was a great group of people, all hardworking and intelligent working together to produce a great product. Unfortunately it is a group that relies on government contracts and is at the mercy of bid awards.
Pros
Many Free Lunches and Coffee, Overtime Available
Cons
Many Contract Employees that depend on a steady production rate to maintain employent
Great people; culture changed
Director, Business Development (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJAugust 16, 2018
Very tight team, with flexible work time. There was not really a typical day, Certainly the most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork and nice people
Very good for starting to mid-level careers.
SR.Procurement Lead /Senior Sourcing (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJuly 3, 2018
Smiths has been plagued with a high level of personnel turnover at all levels.
Smiths USA has had 5 presidents in 6 years. The current management seems to be making great progress in moving the company in a competitive marketplace and focusing the employees on obtaining set goals.
My time at Smiths Detection was enlightening and high speed
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJune 25, 2018
My time at Smiths Detection was enlightening and high speed. I was constantly learning about everything from business development, sales leadership and manufacturing.
Great working environment, ability to advance given the opportunity
Cell Lead/Production (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJune 7, 2018
Working for Smith's Detection was a great experience. Learning on hand while being able to advance. Team playing co-workers, and awards given. Summer crab feast for employee appreciation.
Pros
Free lunches, summer hours, star awards, health benefits, location
Cons
Company layoff
Out of Control. Mangement far too removed from reality.
Service Engineer, Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDApril 22, 2018
Out of Control. Mangement far too removed from reality. Company is in over its head and refuses to hire enough people to perform work correctly. Was not worth getting sick over.
Would not recommend to anyone
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDApril 12, 2018
I was a contractor for Smiths for nearly three years. Miserable is the best way to describe the average day. Managers can be demeaning to employees with no fear of punishment. HR will not support employees.
Environnement de travail agreable
Support Niveau 2 (" Clients Services Analyst ") (Former Employee) –  Vitry sur SeineMarch 10, 2018
Mon expérience chez Smiths Detection a était fort enrichissante.
J'ai pu mettre en avant les atouts acquis au cours de mes expériences précédente et de mes études mais j'ai pu aussi en apprendre énormément.
Good place to work at
Field Service Technician I (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAFebruary 20, 2018
Not everyday is the same, especially in field service. Learned a lot in a short amount of time from one of the best technicians. Pretty good work environment.
Good and Bad
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, MDFebruary 6, 2018
Like any job there are good things and bad things about the job. The culture at this company needs some changes. You will get opportunities to do many different things, however you rarely get the resources you need to do a job right.
Dedicated, friendly employees
Product Lifecycle Management - Intern (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAJanuary 16, 2018
Very dedicated people working on all the projects in each department. Product management department is particularly close. Very open atmosphere with friendly faces around the office.
Bad Manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDJanuary 10, 2018
The Job was good and I enjoyed the daily activities. The manager like to bully people an harass employees. Each day it felt like you were going to lose your job at any minute.
Pros
Co workers
Things are changing
Operations Engineer (Current Employee) –  Newark, CADecember 29, 2017
The integration of Morpho Detection into Smiths Detection under the SSA is very concerning. Not enough communication, nor clarity in vision. Outside the SSA it seems to be a little more transparent but if you are based in North America you can't benefit.
Pros
SD produces important products for security at airports, harbors, etc.
Cons
Siloed organization
Enjoy fast paced work day
Field Service Engineer II, Customer Support (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 14, 2017
Been working as Field Service at mostly for TSA & and other Customer sites.
Certified on many pieces of security/x-ray/ETD equipment
Satisfying getting the customers equipment running as fast and efficient as possible.
Pros
minimal supervision
Cons
Revolving door of FSE's
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJDecember 9, 2017
Management is approachable
Reviews are timely
Great people
Job is interesting
Fast paced
Everyone works together
Management rewards employees
Team environment
Pros
Rewards