Smiths Detection

Smiths Detection Employee Reviews

TOO MANY INDIANS AND NO ONE KNOWS WHERE TO FIND A CHIEF! This company is fantastic and the corporate model has the potential to make this company great but no one is pushing for excellence and there is zero attempt at employee retention. Promises are made but zero management follow through and HR is even worse. I lost my job due to their neglect and broken promises after asking for help multiple times.
Environnement de travail agréable.
Missions intéressantes
good to learn new product and get more knowledge.our boos is good but some co-worker are not good they are not supportive.
work place is safe and clean. i lost my job when they close Derry rode plant in Mississauga.if they open again then i am the first one who like to apply for the job.
Typical Day began trying to motivate LAZY staff, I learned that Unions can carry alot of weight in the workplace both good and bad.
Upper management in addition to the Human Resources Department has failed Smiths Detection horribly by allowing some Union members to blatantly break rules with no consequences !

The work place reminds you of a country club, associates doing what ever they want when they want. The hardest part of the job is watching this take place and having NO disciplinary avenues that are effective or followed through with by Management or Human Resources!

The most enjoyable part of the day was 3:30 clock out time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Participated in the design and execution of developmental research for the Ion Mobility Spectrometry-based IONSCAN 600 narcotics detection algorithm. Broadened communication skills through formal presentations, technical writing, and documentation of results
Learn a lot about protecting the country from small threats coming over the boarders and across the seas. Various products built, maintained. Go home feeling like you're helping protect this country.
I learned a lot working at this company and built a lot of new connections. Being in the position I was in, I learned how to take charge of a lot situations without guidance which helped me grow professionally.
Overall, Smiths Detection has an intense culture. Most people are fun and easy to work with to a point. The benefits and pay are fantastic. Work life balance half the time. Could work unlimited hours in a day.
Workplace culture is positive, very diverse employee and cooperative co-workers at the Newark site. However since the acquisition in 2017 job security is significantly lacking.
Management ( manager and supervisor)
Seeks to deceive TSA by mostly putting false information on documents pertaining to CTX machine repairs by telling techs to put blame of machine failures on TSA staff so that company wont lose money)

Manager seems to have several mental problems inwhich company allows him to continue to lead team.

Ma
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Smiths Detection?
Very well learned from my superiors. Work and life is balanced. Learned every machine the airport can offer. Worked very well with my colleges and superiors.
Great company to work for! Proposed the proper training and management to be successful at the company. Loved working for this company but was not willing to relocate.
A good position and workplace that will allow you to develop your own skill set, but will not assist you in doing so.

Work/Life Balance can be very very work heavy, as you are expected to be available all hours of the day and whilst on leave.

Job Security/Advancement - The job security at Smiths is very good as products are frequently released and require installing at customer sites. There is no career progression path at the time of writing this.
tres difficile d acceder aux postes a responsabilites, et il n y pas de gestion de carriere. Tout est driver par les actionnaires
Pros
salaire correct
Cons
tres peu d augmentation
Smiths Detection is a great place to work. It has its kinks like any other company, but the technology and products they produce are amazing.
People is committed and they always help to get things done
great company to work for. Interesting products. Benefits and salary are decent. Small company overall, hard to get promoted locally but opportunities may exist in other parts of the world as it's an international company.
Pros
Culture, benefits, pay
Cons
promotion potential
During my years at Smiths Detection I ran the model shop with another coworker. I was able to work with all engineers in a variety of projects. I was able to also work with the maintenance dept assisting with the production of tools or items needed for our company while holding the presidency of the union for many years. I am very proficient in welding, molding, trouble shooting and all skills that make me an expert in my field. Please refer to my resume for specifics. I truly enjoy difficult close tolerance assignments and collaborating with others.
One of my biggest priorities is providing great Customer service for internal and external customers.
Pros
Union benefits
Cons
expensive health benefits however my wife carries our benefits
Une cellule commerciale avec très forte ambition avec un excellent et brillant directeur commercial à sa tête.
Mais cette entreprise dispose d’une vision des évènements et des solutions à très court terme, en apportant des solutions à l’instant T sans prendre en considération les possibles avancements du lendemain.

Une recherche de solution à la hâte et selon les envies managérial des responsables de pôle.
great place to work, I learned alot in my career here. Found my mentor and we are still in contact. Most of my back office HR experience. I learned here.
Pros
Future tech run by others outside of this site is better

Cons

full of bullies and people who have been in the industry for too long and have not kept there skills up to date. Continues improvement showed promise but was implemented by idiots and has shown little benefit that isn't from the massaging of numbers. Engineering department is run by people who did phd in science years ago and haven't done much else since - hint they definitely don't know about engineering and it is bloody shocking . This is a place where engineering goes to die, even working in starts ups i have not seen such a level of staff turnover due to poor management and treatment. 1 to 10 manager staff ratio, it feels like 10-1 but the mangers they have can't cope so they have to bring in silly rules rather than refreshing the workforce. project mangers are the most incompetent that i have ever had the displeasure of working with, massive slips hidden, no idea of knock on effects, no idea how to plan and they always duck and cover. way to much interference from the vast quantities of VPs and other warm bodies that are employed stateside, I have no idea what they all do (head of toxic culture 1-10 if i had to guess). The only reason people stay here is because by the time you have been here for 2-3 years your skills will have fallen behind your pears in the industry and people get trapped or they are the bullies. to be clear since i started most of the people that started after me have left. It is really really bad.

Advice to Management

engineering service and manufacture are a shambles.
 - more...
Pros
Future tech run by others outside of this site is better
Cons
toxic culture full of people who have been over promoted
Great opportunity to work with skilled technicians. Fast paced and sometimes dangerous work environment. Good local employment but misplaced management culture. Focus on the appearance of safety as opposed to actual employee safety.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Advancement opportunities and poor management.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiths Detection. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7