Rocket Software Employee Reviews

A good business with a positive culture
Vice President, Product Marketing (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 1, 2019
Rocket is an unusual business in today's tech economy, in that it's not a SaaS company. It serves the needs customers have with respect to legacy infrastructure, and has customers among the largest companies in the global economy. The people are great, and the company culture is centered around success of Rocketeers, partners, and most importantly, customers. The environment is demanding, but the organization values the team, and people are generally trying to succeed together. It is not Darwinian, despite being intense.
Complex work
Information Developer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 21, 2019
Great place to learn new technology. Wonderful people, who are always willing to help. International company, which provides the opportunity to work with people around the world.
Mercenary hiring and firing tactics.
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Campbell, CAJanuary 15, 2019
Rocket is a very mercenary company. Don't ever trust what they tell you about your long term job prospects. After Rocket acquired our tools, including our development team from IBM they gradually laid us off. We had to hand software coding and support over to Japanese and Russian (cheaper) teams.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Zero job security
Fast paced, competitive compensation and benefits
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARDecember 17, 2018
Work assignments and responsibilities can be demanding, requiring working additional hours at times outside the normal work day (typical of IT jobs). Work/Life balance varies, depending on the demands of the job (see above), compensation and benefits remain competitive with today's industry standards.
Pros
Being able to work remotely (the company is moving away from this in favor of working onsite)
Cons
Work/Life balance can be difficult to manage at times
Keep your head down
Employee (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 15, 2018
Pay is good, benefits are great, and management is easy to work with. The culture in this company is that following orders and obeying the pecking order is more valuable than new ideas. Risk taking is seen as detrimental to the bottom line, and even if a new idea works, the company does not have the agility to take on that new path. If you're the type of person that likes to keep their nose clean, and not ruffle anyone's feathers, you can enjoy a long and successful career here.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Company Culture
Cons
Corporate mindset
Good place
Sr. Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 13, 2018
This is a good place to work and learn new things. This a software company and you will feel that while working here. If you are more on IBM technologies this is the company you should be looking for.
Work life balance and good facilities
Information Developer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSWNovember 11, 2018
Enjoyed working with my colleagues. The company has no direction and they have been laying off employees since last year. Unless you are in the support role or sales, do not join this company as there is no future.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No job security
good people
Senior Sales Engineer, Rocket Software (Former Employee) –  MidwewtNovember 2, 2018
Enjoyed working with my group. Management good. Products were better than average. New sales management wasn't as good as I would have liked to have seen
Company was for sale.
Company lacking direction
Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 19, 2018
Rocket has gone down a path that they will never recover from, they have terminated all of their senior employees and hired a management team that is best suited to offshore all development.

The culture at Rocket would be something that one might find in a progressive kindergarten.

Not a good place for serious developers anymore.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
I worked at Rocket Software full-time for almost 2 years
Quality Assurance Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 2, 2018
Dynamic environment, lots of change. Plenty of opportunity to make a difference if given the chance. The people are friendly and helpful, with a genuine desire to make each other successful. Great partnership relationship with IBM.
Pros
Work life balance, nice colleagues around
Cons
Some products are with very old technology
Tough place to work, no loyalty
Business Area Executive (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 25, 2018
There is no loyalty to long tenured employees, even employees that have significantly contributed year after year. The culture is very competitive with an academic and often negative stance. e.g. instead of helping to figure out what will work, lets poke holes and tell you why your plan won't work.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
No Loyalty
Great work play balance
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJune 25, 2018
Good Job Work/Life Balance
Great Compensation/Benefits
Decent Job Security/Advancement
Good Management
Great Job Culture
Free coffee
Pros
Game tables, free cofee etc
Good company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 5, 2018
Good management team, mediocre performance isn't tolerated, good benefits, good variety of work to keep the job interesting. Office is new and pretty, located in a good part of town. Flexible hours and good people make the office environment enjoyable.
Pros
snacks, drinks, benefits, top talent
Cons
work/life balance isn't there when projects are on deadlnes
A great place to work
Manager, Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Warrenton, VADecember 15, 2017
I love my job at Rocket. I came to Rocket via an acquisition in 2007.

Over the last ten years I was promoted into Rocket management. I have learned and grown in many areas. I have learned a lot about software quality control, product management and project management.

Rocket has been very good to me. I've learned a lot from some very smart people.
Pros
Excellent pay, excellent benefits
Good Company
Corporate Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CANovember 24, 2017
Great management however there is a lack of things to do and every one takes time to finish projects. The management teams seem to take lot of vacation and work mostly from home.
Pros
lunches and work/life balances
Cons
bad growth opportunities
It was a productive and fun place with a ping-pong table
Information Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 20, 2017
Very relaxed, supportive, and engaging place to work. I learned how to convert FrameMaker documents to DITA, using oXygen Editor. Management was never intrusive and never micromanaged. They were always open to answering my questions. They made sure that they established a fun work environment, too. The hardest part of the job was writing documents from scratch and ensuring the information that software developers and programmers gave me was accurate. But it was a rewarding challenge, and I enjoyed doing it. In the end, the document proved successful.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being with my co-workers and fellow interns. I loved working with them.
Pros
Laid-back atmosphere, excellent training, supportive co-workers and advisors, engaging work
Cons
I.D. interns separated from rest of I.D. team, some elements of training would have been helpful being introduced sooner in internship
Great Manager
Full Stack Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 12, 2017
My manager is brilliant. Diversity and inclusion are terms for the work place. Unlimited free foods and drink. Great environment to work for. My manager is very helpful.
Pros
Fun place to work and grow.
Cons
Medium size company
Good
Database Tools Technical Advisor (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 20, 2017
No Review necessary at this point. Good company to work for. Rocket Software is a fast past small company building software for IBM for the most part and that is where the majority of the revenue comes from.
They have their own corporate Rock Band!
Software Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 19, 2017
Very pleasant and fun to be there. People are very nice and interesting. The office is quite new and well equipped (there's a small gym). Working from home policy is approved there which is important
Best internship that I have ever had. Very organized.
Technical Writing Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 6, 2017
I had an incredible experience at Rocket. Learned innumerable new skills and developed useful new friendships. I learned three new softwares to the point of being extremely proficient in Oxygen, DITA conversion, and furthering my knowledge in Python.
Pros
Friendly workplace, professional employees, family-like atmosphere for a large company