Industrial Scientific Corporation Employee Reviews

A good culture that promotes best practices and 5s Kaizen.
Senior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 15, 2019
Industrial Scientific (Fortive) is a great place to work. Teams work well with each other on projects and project managers guide them to get the work done on schedule. I was happy working with my team and all other teams.
Pros
A good culture
Cons
Too many meetings
Great place to work.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, PAMay 11, 2018
Enjoyable job assisting customers. Great working conditions with the best owner, management team, and co-workers. I thoroughly enjoyed working for Industrial Scientific and highly recommend this company.
Exceptional Employer
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 19, 2018
Incredible place to work. Employees first.
They endeavor to work with you to grow your career.
In house training and support ensure you are working at your best.
High standards to ensure they supply the highest quality product.
Best Employment Ever
Technical Team Leader and Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, PADecember 6, 2017
Working at ISC was a great experience, that I wish I would have never left. From owner, upper management, and co-workers everyone worked for a common goal to save lives. You felt appreciated in everything you did, and often times were told about it.
Pros
Leadership, Moral, Co-workers, Wages and Benefits
Cons
I can honestly say I don't have any!
Best Place I ever worked.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 22, 2017
The culture of this business is second to none. When the owners say they put their employees first it really shows. The only downside was there wasn't enough upward mobility because no one ever quit.
Great Culture/Mission, poor execution/compensation
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 11, 2017
Industrial Scientific has a mission of ending death on the job by the year 2050. This is a noble effort, and being the global leader in gas detection, definitely has its foot in the right door for achieving such a goal.

However, the company had problems in the past regarding execution and each department having poor methodologies. This lead to the company implementing what is essentially a company-wide Waterfall model.

The process does work; however, it is painful at best. Nothing can be done quickly even on the smallest of scales.

The compensation is modest here. As a Software Developer, I was paid below the average for the Pittsburgh area, and from what all others that I talked to while working here, this is common among all other professions as well.
Pros
People are kind, helpful, relaxed workplace
Cons
Poor pay, process
Strong Culture focused on the mission.
Field Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 29, 2017
When you work in the office you see and feel the sense of dedication for the company mission to ending death in the workplace by 2050. For most part the managers are caring and understanding to your problems.

Nice working for CEO that remembers name when he sees your face even if its maybe 1 time a year that you actually cross paths.

When working as a field personal sometimes you would feel forgotten about, and adapted sense of no news is good news mentality. Now the management staff is taken steps to correct this feeling.
Overall an OK place to work
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 10, 2017
Industrial Scientific Corp at one time was a great place to work. The last 5 or so years the culture has changed from employees first to its about the bottom line no matter what. I do believe ISC manufactures a quality product and has a great sales team. overall I enjoyed my 27 years of employment.
Pros
good pay and good benifits
Cons
used to be employee first mentality, but not now
This was a Temp to Hire job
Quality Control (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, PAFebruary 23, 2017
the typical day would assemble products, test the end results, and function as a team. the hard part of the job was starting at 5am. the people were great. Knowing that the company was going through a rough time and I would not have a chance for full time employment.
Great company to work for.
Principal Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 28, 2015
Great company, smart and decent owners and management.
Just moved in a new building. Very good work environment, job ethics, supportive stuff.
Great Growing Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, PAApril 28, 2015
They are a very big company and I gained alot of experience while working under a contract position. I would approve of this company.
Awesome place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, PAApril 16, 2015
Great place to work. My work week was 4-10 shifts with Fridays off. A typical day at work is to follow FIFO, (first in first out). Diagnose and repair life saving instruments in a fast pace environment. Management is awesome they treat you with respect. Co-workers are friendly and eager to help you. The hardest part about the job is learning all the product lines. I enjoyed diagnosing the instruments the most.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Pay
Great workplace overall
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, PAFebruary 27, 2015
Great overall place to work.
Good benefits and wage, great culture. Nice to know that your are saving lives with gas detector production. I worked with some great employees as well. Industrial Scientific gave me a great start in manufacturing, and although it didn't work out with me, I will always appreciate the experience I gained and the great time I had working there.
Pros
Maufacturing had fridays and weekends off, three breaks a day, and great benefits once hired.
Cons
Like any business some managers weren't as great, had to stand all day for 10 hours
Amazing, employee-focused company
Production/Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, PAApril 15, 2014
The best company for which I ever worked. The owners are wonderful men of excellent character with great integrity. The work environment is clean and professional, even in the production areas. They hold an "employee first" philosophy, meaning they really care about the employees and their families. Though they won't be pushed around, they believe in mutual respect. They offer many programs and opportunities for employees to further themselves, both educationally and professionally. Even children of employees have entered internships there, while on break from college.
I cannot say enough good things about this company. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Industrial Scientific Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.