Guidewire Software, Inc. Employee Reviews

Biased work culture
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Jose ,CAMarch 18, 2019
I felt that the team is not inclusive for new comers. Even a highly experienced professional is told what has to be done. Severely biased work culture where monopoly wins . It was hard to feel that we are part of a team. Highly political with back stabbing and no transparency.
It's a great place to work
Training Multimedia Designer (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 14, 2019
Very friendly work environment, friendly people and great challenges. Nice compensation, very flexible to personal needs. The pace of work is dynamic but not stressful at all.
Fun to work with the individuals
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAJanuary 18, 2019
Helping patient with their daily activity, taking them out whenever they have to go somewhere, cook for them, help them with their laundry’s and their bath.
Snooze Work
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  DublinOctober 27, 2018
There is no challenge to being a consultant here. At the beginning you sit through 3 months of mind numbing training for the different centers that make up the product (Policy, Claim and Billing) and then take a bizarre exam of no meaning which if you pass (85% or higher) you then do a small assignment with a trainer who is somewhere else in the world that you speak to for 10minutes every day and finally whom you'll do a demo to at the end.
I found it the biggest waste of time. It actually prevents original ways of solving problems as Guidewire seem to think they have a best way of doing things where you have to work around their spaghetti code. I believe if they actually invested time and ran (and understood) a stress test, they'd see how inefficient and slow their centers are (obvious costly code ran multiple times for no reason can be found from just debugging). There is also no access to unit tests for the OOTB code so good luck finding regressions without strenuous manual testing. There's also a lot of bugs in the OOTB which is embarrassing and will always be a hindrance to the company moving forward. Guidewire doesn't do constant releases but instead patches, again a hindrance.
On my first (and only) project, I experienced a significant amount of downtime where I could sit around for a couple of days clawing for work to come through which is not easy when your client and the project lead is 5 hours behind. This may have been a result from actually having 3 years experience of being a Java software developer that I completed the work a bit quicker than expected but it
  more... was very frustrating. It was coined to me that the next project won't be the same but having spoken to numerous people there, the stories only got worse.

Office is pretty bland, you wouldn't feel proud bringing someone into the place.
Best place to work
SDET (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CASeptember 7, 2018
Guidewire is a great place to work. They have great opportunities and good work life balance.People are friendly at Guidewire and feasibility of learning new technologies are high.
A/P Director and A/P manager are not professional at their position
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 14, 2018
A/P Director and A/P manager are not professional at their position.

A/P manager came in a month after me and soon she brought her coworker from her previous job to take my position while I had built very positive work relationship with various departments, especially Purchasing and vendors. they liked my work and my personality.
Good company, software, people
Professional Services Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAJuly 15, 2018
Guidewire is a very interesting company, started by some McKinsey consultants to serve the Property and Casualty insurance industry. By all accounts, they have have done a great job of developing and implementing enterprise software and helping their clients to achieve their business goals. Guidewire has done a lot of things right and seem to be most constrained by the large and conservative nature of their clients.
Pros
Product quality, professional services, market position
Cons
Customers have older software perspectives and systems, projects take years, HQ (overhead depts) limited/constrained
Great company
Senior Business Intelligence Developer (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAApril 25, 2018
Guidewire promoted cross-training and colaborative work environment. They stressed education and full understading of the application. Engineers would often rotate though the pods to work on different parts of the application. People were very nice and management was honest and reasonable.
Pros
Promoted education
Silos
Consultant Developer (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAMarch 16, 2018
It all depends on your what project your get put on. You may end up on a cool project which accelerates your career at Guidewire or not. The culture is at Guidewire is awesome. You'll meet a lot a cool people from all over the world where Guidewire operates. You can even get in touch directly with the CEO and that is not frowned upon.
Bad Management
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAMarch 15, 2018
Working at this company is not recommended unless you want to make your life miserable. No growth opportunities and very rude management who layoffs people with no reason.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
rude management
Working at Guidewire
Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 26, 2018
Guidewire is a great company to work for. They offer competitive benefits and compensation and have been growing steadily. This is a mature company that has dedicated it resources to making sure that the correct systems are in place.
productive and com
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAJanuary 23, 2018
can be very stressful at time when client act up but other than that when they go to bed it can be very com.i would reccomend you trying this field out if you havnt tryed it before.
good company
Sr. Data Scientist (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CANovember 23, 2017
management need to be consistent on strategy. too many directions and changes happened without consistency. insurance industry is slow and behind the tech.
Mostly a good place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 7, 2017
Hard driving to stay on schedule. Good benefits and good people to work with. Serious about their work and at the same time supportive to each other.
Free coffee (Keurig!)
Pros
Good internal support
Cons
A little intense sometimes
Contracts Enablement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAOctober 1, 2017
Easy job but seemingly little room for growth. Haven't learned much in two years and I don't feel I'm paid fairly for the work I've done.Overall I would still rate this company very well.
Pros
Little stress
Cons
Not learning anything
A great place to work!
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Foster CitySeptember 5, 2017
Has been a great place to work. There are currently some challenges because of the pressure on the company to provide cloud based products. Hopefully they will come out ahead soon.
The best software company around
Business Architect (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CASeptember 1, 2017
I truly enjoyed my time with Guidewire. One of the few companies I know which worked at living up to their values which are Rationality Collegiality, and Integrity.
Pros
One of the top insurance software companies around
Cons
Nothing comes to mind.
Fun Culture
Sr. Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAJuly 5, 2017
I get to utilize my professional talents in an atmosphere that challenges me intellectually . At the end of the day, I leave work feeling fulfilled; like I made a real impact in my team and appreciated by the company for my contribution
This is a good company.
Software Quality Assurance Developer (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAMay 11, 2017
This is a good company, emphasis balance between work and life, but after many senior people left, the culture has changed, upper managers need to be aware of this.
Nothing special
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAApril 1, 2017
Just a regular software company. But very disorganized. Frequent random and unpredictable changes. Irrational approach to people management. Not a company to work in for more than an year or tow.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guidewire Software, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.