Destination XL Group Employee Reviews

Don't do it
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 11, 2018
It was an interesting experience and they love to wine and dine you with their training program, but I hated working 50 hours a week for no raise. You can figure out pretty early on in training exactly what you are walking into.
Vivid and growing environment.
Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHMay 20, 2018
A typical day at work starts at 3 p.m in the afternoon just before the rush hour. I clock in through the portal and print Store Net for customers' orders and wait to be check in for the plan set for the day. Afterwards, I start or continue to work on my shipment in the stockroom or in the front end of the store and help direct the customers in the right direction for their arrival into the store.
Pros
great team
Cons
no benefits for part-time
Hostile work environment
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 23, 2018
Upper management consistently ignores all requests, and doesn’t contact us until they deem it appropriate (ie, deny a raise, deny giving something that the store needs, such as a heater). In the almost two years I worked at Casual Male, I went through 3 store managers, and 9 coworkers. The first year I worked there, the air conditioning didn’t work for the entire summer, and didn’t get fixed until the regional manager came to our store from Texas and realized that it was an oven. The store was left to its own devices, as detrimental as it sounds. I do not recommend working here, or shopping here.
Pros
Some of the coworkers were great
Cons
Hostile upper management, poor pay, poor benefits
Not bad, relative
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 15, 2018
From my experience working there. The leadership that i had when i started was excellent and a fun place to work. Some of the leadership that was apart of casual male is still left within the company. After the regional leadership changed, the culture of the region changed to that of the leader that was formally with Casual Male. The change and mentality of the leadership went from supportive to dictator. I would recommend this company with caution. If you have great leadership it is an amazing place to work. If you have bad leadership it makes it emotionally unhealthy.
Pros
Pay, benifits, and fun in a fast paced environment
Cons
inconsistancy with vision within the leadership team
Great manager but low pay
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTMarch 21, 2018
The manager at the one I worked at is wonderful. Very supportive and a true leader. DXL as a company does not compensate fairly though, and if you are part time you would need another job to get by most likely. It only worked for me because I was in school.
Pros
Management, flexible hours
Cons
Benefits, wages if you are part time
Productive and fun. Good benefits
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 14, 2018
Great place to work. Good benefits and training. No day is ever the same in regards to sales but the operations are clear and help bring balance to the day.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Pay could be better for the area
Not As Expected
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 4, 2018
The wages were not as promised, and neither were the hours. I was a student and management refused to take my schedule, that never changed, into consideration. You will work an insane amount of hours and when management screws up, they'll blame you for it. The customers and the relationships you develop with them almost makes it worth it.
Pros
Customers, OK health benefits
Cons
Management, Wage
Enjoyed the customers and the discounts and the benefits
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 24, 2018
I enjoyed helping customers and I also enjoyed the benefits I received working there but management was poor. The pay wasn't adequate and the schedule was unpredictable.
Pros
Discounts, helping customers, medical benefits
Cons
Poor store management unpredictable schedule, on adequate pay
Laid Back Uplifting Work Environment
Stock Room Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 5, 2018
If you were to work at DXL, you would need to be able to do simple things like fold clothes according to the folding model they use, hang up clothes with the appropriate tags that are associated with the item as well as be able to talk to customers respectfully when needed. Be able to make conversation and engage with a customer in order to make the sell.
Pros
Clean work enviroment and amazing co-workers and managers!
Cons
None Really
Change
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Canton, MASeptember 10, 2018
There is a lot of change and a lot of unwilling to change. Just keep your head down and do what you are told. Management is always changing. In with the new and out with the old. Some days are harder than others. If you need a job DXL is okay. But currently not so great.
Pros
Early release on Fridays
Cons
Bad Directions and understanding from Management
stressful
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Current Employee) –  Canton, MAJuly 5, 2018
advancement is hardly ever

schedule change will never happen

management is horrible

favoritism is extremely over baring

very unprofessional

requesting time off is the hardest task ever
Great Beginning Job
Wardrobe Consultant (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CASeptember 3, 2018
I worked at DXL Temecula, and it was a great job, while I was in school. My management was always encouraging and professional. Environment was healthy and productive. Hardest part of the job was the grumpy customers, but my manager always had my back
Opportunities for Advancement, Just Smile and Nod and Know you Don't Matter
Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 20, 2018
If you're concerned about pay, the company pays PENNIES compared to most places for an assistant or general manager. The excuse they give is that you make commission and if you want to "make more" simply "sell more". A fair point, but considering that I made more as a sales associate than I did an assistant over holiday season simply should tell you that your salary can fluctuate A LOT, and by no fault of your own.

The core of the job isn't difficult: You're a wardrobe consultant. You get the customer what they need, then start piling on the add-ons using the company's script/floor process.

Operations is fairly simple as well: keep the store clean and neat, follow the visual charts for merchandising, run shipment, keep up with the LARGE amount of paperwork that piles up in a single day of business, run scheduling, conduct interviews etc.

Where the difficulty comes in is that you will ALWAYS work understaffed. Most stores in our district run on 3-4 people, and if you lose one, it's very difficult to maintain balance in the store. You'll find yourself doing EVERYTHING all at once from operations to customer service, which is possible to manage once you find a rhythm, but hit one kink and you may find yourself a day behind very quickly. And there is NO cutting corners with this company.

Your overall experience will also be driven by your general manager and the higher managers. I faced a lot of passive aggressive behavior and learned very quickly that the best way to get along was to smile and nod and treat upper management like every word they said was gold. It's
  more... a very "fake" environment in which you're encouraged to give feedback, but nothing changes and the only response you get is "What an interesting idea! Love the feedback! Great input!" in a "I'm hardly listening" tone of voice. Certain branches are very clique-ish and it feels, at times, like you're back in high school.* If you want to avoid the drama, make sure you cross your all your T's and dot all your I's and that your numbers are always where they are supposed to be. Either way, you'll have weekly/monthly calls in which they go over the numbers and sales plans, be ready.

Some of the expectations of upper management are also near-impossible. For the most part, as I've said, balancing all the duties of operations and customer service can be difficult, but is certainly possible, especially with a well trained and dedicated team, but the company doesn't give you any additional tools to do so. On top of being understaffed, hours are often spread thin, but you're expected to always be out recruiting and setting up interviews. Even if your store is fully staffed, you're pressured to find potential recruits for the upstate stores as well. A work-life balance is simply something you won't have working here.

If advancement is something you're focused on, its certainly possible here. In fact, training everyone to be potential managers is something they take very seriously, as they genuinely believe in promoting from within. Just smile and nod and keep those numbers high.

To that point though, please note: if you work at a smaller location, you DO NOT matter. you'll have to work a lot harder to prove yourself and your focus should be on transferring to a larger store ASAP. there are a lot more opportunities to earn higher places in the company if you work for a DXL rather than a CMXL.

Finally, a last point to the stores running understaffed: it is entirely too common that if you lose store members you'll find yourself working open to close shifts for days at a time, multiple weeks in a row. There is very little sense of urgency when this happens. Just be prepared to essentially live in your store.
Pros
Benefits, advancement
Cons
Long hours, overwhelming list of duties, understaffed, underpaid
Couldn't really complain, it's a job
Stock Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILAugust 10, 2017
While the pay is nice and the hours are consistent, I will say that the demands are hard to keep up with, put the pace is steady and the work is repetitive. The only cons for me personally is that I am a female, working with a store that has predominantly male customers, so it is distracting trying to do the work while male customers try to get my attention. As far as the work, you are well trained, and are given lots of information. Starting out in the stock coordinator position is where you will stay, and not as anything beyond that until you are promoted. You clock in, open boxes of shipment in a corner of the store and you fold, hang, and sort the clothes and try your best to fix them on the sales floor.
Pros
Great training, nice pay, consistent work schedule, health benefits are there if wanted
Cons
Intense work, repetitive, environment can be a pain
no gratitude from the company whatsoever
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  If I gave that info they would know who I am.December 5, 2018
It doesn't matter how much you love what you do for your customers this job will suck the life out of you. If you go above and beyond prepare to no get recognized for it. If you completely turn sales around for your store.... Be prepare to not get compensated for it.
Not what I expected
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAMarch 13, 2017
I worked at this company for over a year. I would describe the job and the team I worked for as not very collaborative, and upper management would do anything to save a penny. They would cut buyers and have assistants do tenfold the work with no pay raise. There was little to no direction or training. It was a very sink or swim atmosphere, and very cut throat.

The workplace culture in my opinion promoted gossip and little to no movement unless you were a favorite. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a work life balance and communicating with bosses that were rude in their demeanor.
Pros
presentation experience, face to face exposure with CEO
Cons
Work through break (common practice), no colloboration, no direction, or training
The worst job I have ever had
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAJuly 28, 2017
I worked for this company for 2.5 years and it was the WORST job I could have. I couldn't get a raise, I had no life at all, and the commission was terrible. This company's management structure sucks and they don't really give the employees a chance to get a promotion. Instead they hire other people who know nothing about the company to come and a manage store. On a good note My district manager was absolutely AMAZING!!! One of the most caring, down to earth people I will ever meet.
Pros
discount
Cons
management sucked, pay sucked
Family oriented workplace
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMay 29, 2018
In the beginning of my time here I was very excited to work and I was happy to get to work and do my very best to contribute to the team. However management from an internal level changed and things became tense and tumultuous and although I still wanted to contribute and help right the ship, it became more difficult. Things are in a much better place now and what was once fractured now feels but back together
Great place for team building
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAJuly 21, 2018
Great group of people, fun, fast paced experience. Customer service like no other. Training is very thorough, customers are treated like a guest in your home, being given solutions to their clothing needs
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
some slow sales days
Fast paced store
Store Manager/Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 26, 2018
The store is a plus size men's store. There is an on site tailor. The store requires a certain amount of sales and a certain amount of items per transaction in order to work in their store. There was always pressure to perform high which made it a stressful environment to work in.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pushed to follow their way of selling with every customer transaction.