British Council

British Council Management reviews

India128 reviews
Good Job Culture. Good service. I actually worked there while doing my MBA. British council is one of the top management who is running the IELTS TEST and we can work there as per our wish. We can put the slots or we can book the days in advance for the work. They will provide the centre. Really good atmosphere. The payments will be delayed for 2 months.
The company is archaic in its policies and processes. If you are ambitious and want to grow in your field, this is not the place for you.
There is clear demarcation and disconnect between senior management team and the on ground team and under the garb of collaboration, the pace of work suffers.
Work culture is formal, you get a lot of networking opportunities with English professors, trainers; work is simple : customer and process focused, but rate of pay is just Rs 140 an hour and 7-8 hours of work (7-10 days a month). this So those who depend on it full time - and will face disappointment and frustration.
Pros
Lots of training, networking opportunities, some paid travel, English speaking atmosphere and mutual respect.
Cons
Poor pay rate, lots of churn and turnover of staff, only part time work (1-2 days a week), management doesn't respond to queries nor prefers face to face interactions
Had to be on toes. Man management. Punctuality. Good.Time management. Prioritizing. Socializing. Analytical mind. Don't say Yes when you want to say No. Reading between lines. Understanding Rules and Regulations. Interpretation. Implementing rules, procedures and practices more in spirit than in letters depending on circumstances..
Learnt how to approach the target visitors, informed them about the different subscription schemes, time management and team work. At the same time assisted the seniors.
I wish other in the technology had been as passionate about work as the MD himself, HR is good and helpful.
The management in the technology doesn't know technology and that is the biggest problem most of them should have been in HR or related fields.
Pathetic work atmosphere and culture. So much of micro management that you start to feel like you are in jail. Extremely unorganised management and disguised hierarchy. Do a complete check before joining and the take this big risk of switching
Pros
Yet to find one
Cons
Micro management and disguised hierarchy
Good company with no so good management. too much of politics.
Micro management is the major concern over here, you can never guess ,who takes your work credit behind your back .
British Council provided me a great platform to do job with. It was my pleasure to work with such an esteemed company. I wanted to pursue my further study that is why i left the job.
This job taught me how to work in a team, and over all management.
Pros
Free lunch, tea. increments, flexible hours.
It houner to work with British council.great environment. excellent management system. Number 1 in discipline. All the work is done with systematically.invizilator were very good and polit. Every one is very helpful
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Freedom to express, Great work culture, Supportive Management, Flexible shift hours. The only drawback is the pay structure. If they need to retain top notch talent, they really ought to look at the compensation policy.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
Pay
I was in the Gurgaon office, its very neat and clean and beautiful office in a big and beautiful building.
No sense of purpose and no sense of direction in the company, the top management is not concerned about the employees they are also doing time pass. my HOD used to break company policies and verbally threatened me. If you are married female and want to do time pass then join.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
no meaningful work, no sense of direction, no sense of purpose, stupid HR and stupid boss
I had an excellent experience working at the British Council. I had a steep learning curve that resulted in me moving from an executive level to senior manager level.
British council is employee satisfaction company.Management and work culture is fine .All the staff members are very supportive and the teamwork are always is commendable,
Pros
Good company and individual exposure
Cons
part time
In British Council you learn a lot of things as an Invigilator. It includes:
Team management that how you can work in a team. British Council also provides opportunity to act as a Team Leader.
Pros
Free Lunch, Tea, water etc
Cons
short breaks
I enjoy working here since the work culture is extremely healthy and positive. I love to drive to my work place meet colleagues over a cup of tea and move on with my planned business meetings for the day these can be internal or external. There are senior management internal meetings as well once a week where we get an opportuntity to highlight potential, scope and risks and mitigation strategies. I have enjoyed working over the last nine years out here.
Pros
Equality and diversity
Cons
no staff union
Working Hours in British Council is good enough and you only have to work from 9 to 5 only including 1 hour lunch. I have learned how to work in professional environment and at field how to manage a team and crowd. Communication with clients at initial level and 2nd level manage and recruitment of resources for field work or free lance.

British Council workplace place culture gives you an environment where you can grow your leadership skills and other management skills. British Council believes in EDI (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion).

Enjoyable part of job when company gives you chance to travel to PAN India and work with different teams and provides you opportunities to grow.
Pros
It is a Subsidiary of British High Commission
Cons
location vs salary
High-volume. Most enjoyable part of work is meeting lots of new people everyday. Learned time-management, prioritizing, meeting deadlines, delegating. Learning the ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
By far the best place I have worked at. Extremely employee centric and the best at what they do. I would to work with them again. The pay is standard and there is no bias.
Vibrant work environment with lot of learning, sharing and fun. Senior management responsive to queries, suggestions and feedbacks. Space given to take independent decisions with responsibility and accountability.
Very good Place to work with lot of work life balance and other Medical benifits. But they don't have proper work process with bad management and less Salary which the management have to seriously look into.
Pros
Maternity Benifits of six months, Medical benifits
Cons
Poor Salary and hike, no proper appraisal system