Avon and Somerset Constabulary Employee Reviews

poor employer
Detective Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bristol, BristolSeptember 30, 2019
Lots of discrimination and glass ceiling if not part of the in crowd.

Will be disciplined for basic mistakes.

Morale is very low.

Expected to work 60 hrs a week on salary.
Challenging and fulfilling role.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  BristolSeptember 2, 2019
There is no typical day doing this job. You have to respond to various incidents often under a great deal of pressure.
You need to think on your feet and stay calm and proportionate in your actions whilst often under a great deal of provocation.
However you will generally work with some of the best, most compassionate and bravest people you will meet in your life.
It will often be difficult work but also at times very rewarding.
You can help people when they at there lowest and also ensure people who need arresting are removed from causing harm to others.
The shift work is tiring so you have to be resilient .
However you will see and do things many people never will. If this seems like a challenge and a motivation this may be for you.
Pros
Great Team Spirit
Cons
Shift work
Policjant
Policjant (Current Employee) –  BristolAugust 7, 2019
Zakres moich obowiazkow:

Policjant/Dzielnicowy (POLICE COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICER) – Avon and Somerset Police (2008 – obecnie)
· tłumaczenie zeznań ofiar i podejrzanych,
· szeroka współpraca z różnymi departamentami Policji w celu pomocy Polakom w Wielkiej Brytanii,
· współpracuję z polskimi przedstawicielami organizacji polonijnych,
· budowanie dobrych relacji miedzy polska mniejszością a lokalnymi mieszkańcami.
Challenging and demanding working enviroment with numerous oppurtunities to develop and grow
N/A (Former Employee) –  Bristol, BristolJuly 28, 2019
Not relevant as I retired over 3 years ago and the Police Service changes very quickly so my experiences and observations are already out of date and irrelevant.
Poor training, guidance and support
Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Criminal JusticeMay 8, 2019
I advise anyone thinking of working in Criminal Justice to think very carefully before leaving another post. The training was non existent, you are expected to learn on the job quickly without being given any real support. The work load will increase until the enormity of it all becomes overwhelming. No good working atmosphere and no teamwork!! The pay does not reflect the responsibilities you will be required to take on.
Pros
Flexible working hours.
Cons
Job description did not match the role.
Worst Job
PCSO (Former Employee) –  North Somerset, SomersetFebruary 16, 2019
Long shifts no good work life balance bad management unsupervised lazy colleagues beware if your face doest fit as you will suffer! bullying not addressed no support during illness even if it's actually caused by them!
Pros
Cons
Working for an unappreciative organisation bullied and left to suffer
Police Force
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  SomersetFebruary 16, 2019
Police work, if it is for you will love it, if any doubts, it will not be easy and will grind you down.
I personally loved it an will be sad to leave when I do come to retire.
Challenging work environment but could be rewarding.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  VariousOctober 30, 2018
An increasingly challenging environment to work in due to budget reductions and demand management. A variety of interesting roles to work within. Within front line police officer roles, work pressure is an issue and incidents encountered are often highly stressful.
Disappointed with Organisation and let down
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  BristolAugust 16, 2018
Would not recommend working for A&S, treated terrible when i was ill and not supported, Bullies in the organisation that get away with it and a blind eye turned, pressurised and left with an illness for my troubles.
Pros
Working and helping the public
Cons
Long hours, terrible shift patterns, working 3 weekends out of 4 no family life.
Extremely Professional work environment
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Mendip, SomersetAugust 1, 2018
Hard work but an extremely rewarding place to work. Management were very supportive during my wife's illness and subsequent bereavement. Marvelous team spirit that still remains to this day as I regularly keep in contact with former work colleagues.
Pros
Workplace Camaraderie and extremely professional environment
Cons
Shift work and operating in all weathers.
Protect and Serve the Public
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  North SomersetMarch 20, 2018
Front Line Response Officer

Learnt so much within my 13 years service.

Worked on the largest deprived council estate in 2003 in western Europe for 7 years.

City centre, Town Centre and Rural policing experience

Hardest part - fighting against the government

Most enjoyable - protecting and serving, team bonding prior to all the cuts obviously
Pros
Providing a service
Cons
Government destroying the police service, changing things when they work
Skilled and enjoyable
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  BristolMarch 3, 2018
I performed many rolls within my job title as a detective constable ranging from murder investigations, surveillance operations to full criminal investigations of criminal offences leading to file preparation and giving evidence at Court
Pros
Job satisfaction for victims of crime
Cons
Can be long hours
making a positive difference in your community
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  BANESJuly 10, 2017
the organisation is going through many changes and if these are completed quickly and without budget constraints we could make a massive difference to reducing crime in our communities.
It is rewarding to make a positive difference in the community and generally my supervisor allows me to develop and create my own working day.
Good pension and holiday package that comes with the job
Police
Critical Incident manager (Current Employee) –  SomersetJune 29, 2017
Police service covering Avon and Somerset, providing the best service the funding allows with some of the best people.
The staff are some of the hardest working officers I have had the privilege to work with.
Enjoyable/ progression
Although I do enjoy my current role as a detention officer/ prisoner transport officer at Avon and Somerset Constabulary, I am not able to progress in the current role. I feel I now need to challenge myself more by being busier and more productive whilst putting skills and knowledge to the test with chance of improvement.
Pros
Good currently salary for hours worked.
Cons
Difficult hours and not always busy with no other roles to do.
Rewarding work, with passionate employees.
Continuous Improvement Officer (Current Employee) –  BristolApril 6, 2017
Large organisation that is keen to use progressive data and change management tools to provide an efficient and effective working environment, in order to achieve challenging public sector aims. Open and welcoming environment with good opportunities for progression.
Pros
High level of job satisfaction
Cons
Lower pay than similar roles elsewhere
Detective
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  Bath and North East Somerset, UKMarch 27, 2017
Supportive and professional management. Great camaraderie through the profession. Target focused but with support to achieve results. Progression encouraged and supported. Successes were highlighted and your participation always openly appreciated
Take time to think
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, BristolMarch 12, 2017
As with any job I would take time and get the thoughts of people already working in the area you wish to work in. It will prove invaluble in the end for sure
Work
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, SomersetFebruary 7, 2017
I enjoyed my role because it gives me the opportunity to work within and with the community in order to provide an excellent service.
Pros
Provides good flexible working hours
Cons
Can be a very stressful job a times
demanding but rewarding job
Communications operator (Current Employee) –  Portishead, UKJanuary 24, 2017
A typical day would consist of answering up to 200 calls and speaking to members of the public, other agencies and staff.

I learned how to remain professional in stressful situations and to multitask to a high quality.
Pros
rewarding and encourages personal initiative
Cons
relentless workload