Aclara Technologies Employee Reviews

Awful.
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Staten IslandOctober 18, 2018
I can't even begin to describe what a toxic work environment this is. They made installers that worked here less then a month quality auditors and supervisors. They abuse their position and do whatever they can to put themselves above you. If your ok with getting made fun of and abused verbally and mentally then this is the place for you. If you're ok with being told what to do by supervisors and quality auditors that don't know anything about what your installing and what you do.then this is the job for you. If you get injured or have heat stroke on the job prepare yourself to be made fun of in front of everyone. They speak about safety in the morning but it's a complete joke. They went through probably 3 different safety directors in 3 months. You're told to do things that you have never been trained on before and if you bring that to their attention then prepare for the comments and laughter from the supervisor's. You're constantly told to do things that are far from your job description and training sometimes borderline illegal. No matter how good of an installer you are be ready for the constant phone calls all day and the harrasment about the NUMBER or meters installed. If your van isn't registered well good luck getting a new one. If you're sick and miss a day well be prepared to come back to missing tools, missing tablet and your van destroyed from top to bottom. When you explain your issues to the supervisors they respond "you shouldn't have been sick and missed a day".
Cons
hours and pay were good getting laid off ,and being relocated disliked
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYOctober 17, 2018
I loved working The managers were nice but, alot of aquitment was broken and it was the companies fault. we waited around so long if we had to get a new tablet .
Pros
friendly crew
Cons
when they say they will reinbrust u money they dont
Aclara was a great opportunity
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 5, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Aclara, and my managers were really great. They were reasonable and fairly understanding.
The work was great and enjoyable. Pacific Power was building a smart grid, and the installation of smart electric meters was the last part of their smart grid.
The day would begin with a morning safety meeting. These meetings were to discuss safety hazards, production goals for the week.
After the meeting I loaded up my inventory of smart meters into our company vans that Aclara provided. Then we drove to the area according to our handheld workflow.
I would have to knock on the customers door, to give them a moment to shut off computers and be prepared to loose power for a moment while I install the new meter.
The job was outside in all weather, and because Oregon can rain for nine months straight, we didn't typically stop for adverse weather.
Pros
Great Pay, Great people to work with.
Cons
Had to work away from home, and the contract was only going to last a couple years
Horrible place to work for. Project manager is a racist and show favoritism on routes
Head Trainer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 15, 2018
Project manager is racist. If you ain't black you will not succeed with them, managers are a joke. You argue amongst themselves on who's in charge. You are yelled at when you dont hit numbers, job is a joke for low pay avoid at all cost
Pros
Your own vehicle for the day
Cons
Everything else
Great Company that was bought out so everyone got laid off
Manufacturing Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHSeptember 10, 2018
Great Company - We got bought out and it went downhill fast - I understand they are on the mend now under good decent management. Great company for support and mentor-ship. Great Teamwork environment.
Not a bad place to work
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Solon, OHAugust 21, 2018
Nice location. Comfortable. Needs a makeover. Management is Cheep and won't spend Money on the lower 80% of us. Could really use a reorganization.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
Is past do for a reorganization.
Great place to work if you are willing to relocate
Utility Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 6, 2018
Aclara has been a remarkable company to be employed with with good compensation and as a field supervisor, you are assigned a vehicle that, if you choose to, you may drive home and to work with.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
none from my point of view
You get out what you put in
Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 4, 2018
The management team is extraordinarily helpful providing mentoring, education and aid when asked. On-boarding is daunting, if you've never been a career in the elecrical field. On-boarding documents are in excess of 100 pages of reading material and up to 6 months of video education, not including the hands on education provided. This job, similair to life - you get out of it, what you put into it. If you expect to get by on what you've done yesterday, you will not be successful today.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits
Cons
Project work
Stressful and fast paced
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 19, 2018
Friendly work environment and good people
Alcara is a fast-paced work environment, always looking to improve themselves
Competitive salary, relaxed work environment
Arbitrary punishment and reward
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCJune 18, 2018
The job itself is relatively easy remove old meter put new meter in .It's the toxic culture of the company that makes it an extremely difficult place to work. Pay is based on nothing more than favoritism and punishments are dolled out in the same manner . If you are not planning on traveling with this company you will have zero future with it. If you need a temporary fill in job and absolutely nothing else is hiring go for it . Usual day consists of a meeting where the supervisors pay lip service to safety but in reality are telling you do whatever to get the job done just done just don't get caught otherwise you will be thrown under the bus. Quotas are pulled out of thin air and nothing is taken into account such as driving times to the destinations . I was told by a supervisor that I should work through my lunch hour which is unpaid . My advice look elsewhere for a better job .
Pros
paypay
Cons
heat rain dogs irate customers incompetent management
It’s a dangerous job if your into playing with live voltage
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCMay 30, 2018
When I was working there it was long hrs cause I was doing what I was told you start at 7 am with a meeting that last about 40 minutes long if you get there early like I did you load up your truck and after meeting you leave last meter originally was 4 pm and about time you got back to shop unloaded your truck and punched out it was 6:30 pm and then you worked till 4 pm which was the same routine but they changed again last meter is 3 but still have to drive back an hr so after all is said about 5 pm you where home
Pros
My manager, coworkers, pay
Cons
No protection even for the females
just a laborer
electric meter installer (Current Employee) –  OregonMay 20, 2018
they just need bodies to install meters, don't care about anything else. lots of traveling and no per diem. you must pay for everything out of pocket.
good place
Meter Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 8, 2018
Good place to work if you like to travel. It was a fun and changing job if I did have to travel I would still be there. Management was great to work with.
Pros
management
Cons
pay
Uttermost Trash Job Around
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 5, 2018
Some of the supervisors are complete trash and should not have even been given that position. For the low pay, the responsibilities does not add up to the seriousness that this job takes.
Don't do it. Run away now leave and don't look back.
Installer (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCApril 30, 2018
Employees were threatened with the north Carolina at will laws after someone called OSHA on the company when an employee was eat up by two pitbull dogs.you have no defenses against dogs.
Cons
The whole company
Meter Installer
Installer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 24, 2018
Installing American Electric Power Meters on Homes and Businesses through out Central Ohio. Company supplied vehicle. High turnover rate among employees.
Dont work for them in the Memphis tn project
Gas (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2018
The company has great intentions for everyone who work for them. But the managers in the Memphis, TN project is a very bad manger and only do for the ones he may like and it's not that many of them he likes. Also the hire some managers to run a project who never change out a meter in there life are have done the job. The manger at the project never likes to use other people who knows how to do the job only because he dont like them. What cost the project to fail because of skin color. But over all the company is good but the managers are very poor managers very bad
Pros
Benefits, off days and a chance to get certified
Cons
Bad managers with no experience
N/a
Technical Support Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOApril 6, 2018
My days at Aclara consisted of taking calls from all outside sources. We were the call center, and I was told that I would be Technical Support Software Engineer in the beginning. This was not the case, unfortunately. I did call transfers and took all calls that had nothing to do with my profession. Everyone their was very nice, but what I did made my days terrible. I felt like I wasn't earning my paycheck and just doing mindless activities.
Pros
Free Lunches, good compensation
Cons
Bad supervision, no overall goal
Productive and safe workplace
Manufacturing Technician/Shipping & Receiving (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2018
Grateful to have worked here for 24 years....awesome people and will never forget. Learned many different skills throughout the years anf will be sure to use them on my future endeavors.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Columbus location great place to work Steubenville location terrible more people are hired and Quit than stay
Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHMarch 29, 2018
The Job was good and enjoyable the Columbus location is a better place to work for great team and supervisors there. Steubenville location was terrible. Supervisor was rude and not and does not deserve to be in management possition. Does not shop compassion or respect to any employees. not concerned about safety or concerns of fellow employees only cares about messing with his paycheck. several complaints were made about the supervisor and management did nothing,
Pros
Loved working in Columbus
Cons
Steubenville location worst place I haveever worked, Suprvisor rude and unperfesional . Cared only about his paycheck not employees or there safety

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aclara Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9