Tata Steel

Tata Steel Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
SAP SD consultant with Ten and a half years of experience in IT field involving 3 implementation projects
Mgr. Marketing & Sales (SD) (Former Employee), Kolkata, West Bengal, IndiaApril 1, 2013
A typical day at work:
Being the TATA STEEL SD Export Team Lead, I am responsible for the design & implementation of all enhancements and new developments in export area. This also includes interfacing with Business partners, vendors and customers.

What you learned:
Cross-functional experience in the area of Sales and Distribution, Controlling, Finance and Production Planning modules of SAP R/3.
Experienced in the use of standard SAP functionalities, ABAP reports.

Management:
Experience in leading and managing teams. Handled multiple roles – SD Export Team Lead, Senior SD Consultant, SD Team QA, Training & Safety coordinator for SD module

Your co-workers:
Responsible for managing a team for streamlining the SD Configuration to enable different sales scenarios required to meet the changing business needs. (new plant creation, setting up sales area, pricing procedure changes, maintenance of tax codes, number range maintenance of billing types and excise group and series group number range, ABAP routine changes, Report development/enhancement based on queries and ABAP, credit management settings ,assignment of G/L codes and any other SPRO settings as required .)

The hardest part of job:
The FA&MD Implementation:
Pro-Rata configuration
Premium is paid by the customer if the chrome % of the material dispatched is higher than the chrome % mentioned in the contract for materials CrOre lumpy, Cr Ore Friable, Fe Chrome, Cr Ore Concentrate.
The above business requirement was handled through module pull program which was called at the order creation and pricing procedure enhancement. – more...

The Penalty/bonus for moisture % and size %
At the time of invoicing penalty or bonus for moisture% and size% is calculated on the basis of limit given during order and actual % arrived during batch picking..

Proof of delivery
For export sales of chrome concentrate, it was required that the customer will not pay for additional moisture content. Hence billing will be for quantity minus the moisture. However the stock out will be at full quantity. This was achieved by using the concept of VLPOD

Delivery Split
Huge volume of dispatches takes place from plants in 600/700 small capacity trucks, thereby increasing the data entry load. Hence the feature of delivery split was configured.

The most enjoyable part of job:
Satisfaction from exceeding the Clients expectations in each of my implementations – less
Working with Tata Steel Ltd, is a invaluable experience. Only a lucky few get to work in such a great Organisation.
Marketing & Sales (Former Employee), Delhi, Kokata, Indore, Ahmedabad, Jamshedpur .October 3, 2013
Pros: rewards system, fun to cooperate with each other which made the work so easy.
Cons: yes there were long hours. we were always very good at solving crisis situations to our adavantge.
I started off with Tata Steel Ltd ( then known as The Tata Iron & Steel Company Ltd or TISCO) in 1977 and thru the entire period of my tenure with them which saw tremendous changes in not only the Company but the Country was a checquerd experience. From a'controlled' era of seventies and eighties, the Company quickly adapted itself to the truly free economy era which the country embraced in the nineties.
Starting the day in the Company was a joy. You looked forward to meeting up your colleagues and bosses in a very informal yet disciplined atmosphere. The work itself gave you challenges one liked and yet the friendly approach to the customers and the market place was always the supreme consideration. Backed up with the tremendous knowledge that the company had pioneered amazing social changes in its labour and personnel laws our approach to our personnel, staff and officers alike was one of great joy and expectations which was never belied. We knew that we were always on the right path and morality was high in our sights. We learned from experience as we enjoyed the work.
The management was always friendly and concerned. While profit was the motive for doing well for the company, the idea of a welfare constituency for our customers and persons we interacted was never away from our thoughts.
Our workers and officers reacted with great sense of proportions and helpful nature and we could always walk into any one's cabin with fear or apprehension.
The hardest part of the job was the expectation meeting of ourselves as well as our bosses. Targets were sacrosanct. I found the pushing – more... up of our sales targets despite poor economic conditions with our customers the hardest part. But we always succeeded, since there was a great amount of faith between us. Not being able to live up to this faith, sometimes was the hardest part of our jobs !
Of course there was great joy in literal sense when we got the rewards for doing a job well. A trip abroad, or a fun meeting always mixed up work and joy for all of us. Meeting up socially for all of us was always a great joy, and I remember the days spent in Tata Steel with great pride. – less
A typical day at work.
Manager Security (Current Employee), Jajpur, ORAugust 31, 2015
* On dated 23.04.2015 about 0645 AM message received from one of Security Guard who was deployed at Blast Furnace area that about 400 or above workers of L & T started throwing stones to the Supervisors and Engineers and started damaging company properties against some payment issue.

I was the Shift I/C Security Control Room, Immediately self along with 3 QRT team rused to the spot but found the mob was so aggressive would not be control without intervention of Police. I informed local Police IIC about the mater , as well as information passed to my seniors and higher management.

Due to morning time no any TATA Steel Manager was present ,so i decided to go forward and counselled them ,at least the local Police arrive.
I started gather them in a particular place and started speech to console them, also I informed that the higher management of TATA Steel and L&T is on the way , they could be solved your problem but some worker started attacked on me .I take in to confidence of some leaders of the mob and again started counselling them.

At this time my extra security man power reached at the place, After some time Local Police and higher Management People also reached and the problem was solved.

I was happy that I successfully did my job and succeed to control the mob to damage Company property and lives.
A good company to start your career especially the values and legacy of this company
Manager (Operations) (Current Employee), Joda, indiaJuly 31, 2012
Working with an organization of repute of TATA STEEL, the most valuable things I gained are its ethics and legacy. It is an honor to be part of this 100 year old company and learn the basic principles that have helped this company to compete and survive in the market for so long.

Professionally, I gained valuable inputs in the operation of iron ore mines. In these 2 years I have gained experience in mine operations, drilling operations, blasting, OB dump management and other administrative works. This allowed me to apply my knowledge in real life situations and to execute safe operations without any reported injuries.

I was exposed to TQM practices which won us the Deming Prize and now I am part of the divisional team that is formed to challenge the Deming Grand Prize this year. I have undergone training in SURPAC and STATISTICA - both state of art software's. I also underwent training in safety approved by DU PONT, which is famous for its safe operations.
Site Engineer
SITE ENGINEER (Former Employee), jamshedpurFebruary 3, 2014
Executing works as per drawings and norms
Making of optimized planning due to site condition
Providing monthly bills as per work done
Controlling quality through various check list
Maintaining housekeeping and safety
Making & maintaining of project - specific quality plan
Marinating records for incoming materials
Calibration &validation of inspection, measuring and test equipments
Surveying such as leveling and marking using Auto level, Total station.
Preparation of Bill of Quantities.
Preparation of bar bending schedule as per drawings and execute the same.
Preparation of structure execution plan and coordinate with consultant.
Allocation of Shuttering materials and Plant & machineries to individual structure.
Preparation of progress schedule.
Preparing daily progress .
Preparation of work done statement.
Co-ordination with project managers, project engineers, stores and accounts department.
Co-ordination with consultants and clients.
Development of product & Process as per customer requirement & end use application
Manager (Current Employee), BOISAR,MUMBAIDecember 9, 2013
1) Production delay of yesterday & accordingly planning of jobs in co-ordination with maintenance department. Root cause analysis of downgradation of product which is produced yesterday or any non conformity material.
2) Learning of analysis from delay & non conformity cause & its proactive action to prevent failure.
3) Monitoring daily management for various process & involvement with policy management for future growth.
4) Deliver Leadership to achieve organisation goal with co-worker
5) Convincing ground staff when they not able to look future benefit of any decision for process or change in practices.
6) Implementation of decision which impact at a large for organisation.
I am seeking a competitive and challenging environment where I can serve your organization and establish a career for myself, especially in field of
Project Management /TOC –Operation & Supply Chain (Current Employee), Jamshedpur, JHJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: balance life, can enjoy with family, health care
Cons: limited scope of growth
Tata Steel, second largest private-sector steel company in India with an annual capacity of 9.7 million tones. On 16 February 2012 Tata Steel completed 100 years of steel making in India. Tata Steel has manufacturing operations in 26 countries, and employs around 80,500 people. Its largest plant is located in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand.

•PGCBM from XLRI & BE Mechanical Engineer having a dynamic professional experience with Tata Group of over 12 + years in the field of TQM /TPM/TOC/VE/ Operation/Maintenance.
This is company where one can for the life time
Regional Manager Hub Operations (West) (Former Employee), Nagpur, MHJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: a excellent system oriented company, & prepares you for the top job
Cons: 1. salaries needs to be reoriented as per the market.
This is a company where you are trained for the top job. The company extends a systematic learning to nearly all employees. The training is designed as per the 360 degree review and feedback. There are co-workers communication system. The company communicates both internally & externally, top to bottom & bottom to top, thus giving better governance to in the all in the system.
The company gives a lot of importance to safety practices & systems. The company is cadre driven.
This is overall a very good company to work with. One works here for the life time.
WORK FORCE AND PRODUCTION
Sr. Manager- Engineering and processing (Current Employee), OR JODA, ORISSANovember 7, 2014
Pros: free breakfast and lunch
Cons: experice members are being demotivated due to work culture issue
COMPANY HAS BOTH CONTRACTOR AND COMPANY EMPLOYEES FOR PRODUCTION ACTIVITY. WELLFARE IS A MAJOR PART OF COMPANY POLICY WHICH HAS DIRECT VERY BALANCE IMPACT ON PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL LIFE. IT BRINGS COMPFORT AT PERONAL WORK TO COMPANY EMPLOYEES BUT AT THE SAME TIME CONTRACTOR EMPLOYEES HAS NOT PARALLEL BENEFITS TO BRING THEIR COMFORT LEVEL AT REMARKABLE PLACE AS OF COMPANY EMPLOYEE. IT BRINGS SOME SOCIAL DIFFERENCE AT WORK PLACE FOR WORKING TEAM DUE DIFFERENT APPROACH OF COMFORT LEVEL FOR COMPANY EMPLOYEES AND CONTRACTOR EMPLOYEES.
very good experience in electrical maintenance
Apprentice Engineer (Current Employee), Boisar, MHMay 14, 2015
a typical day at work stars with department in the morning where discussion is being done on the previous days jobs done and breakdown attended and jobs to be done in future(i.e preventive maintenance of the production lines).The meeting continues for 45 minutes.
Then checklist is provided to electricians.All the things whose PM is to be done are mentioned in checklist.After that starts TPM(total productivity maintenance) i.e. basic cleaning , dusting and 5s of machines is done,this continues for half hour.after that starts the PM.
also new projects or changes to be undertaken on lines are carried out.
productive and fun workplace
mines foreman (Former Employee), Noamundi, JHMarch 2, 2014
Pros: flexible working hours
Cons: it was satifying over all
The days used to be busy and i am fortunate that enjoyed it thoroughly till the last day of my job life."Values Stronger Than Steel" is a much valued puntchline for the company who take every possible care to ensure that they abide by this commitment. The company made employees believe that there is nothing more rewarding than achievement and achievements in groups are much sweeter than individual achievements. The fantasy of working again is one the values i learned from the company which made me worship work all through my life.
productive and fun workplace
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee), Jamshedpur, JHJuly 31, 2013
Tata Steel is a global company, it is strong with Safety & Security of employee and good management. My working place Electrical Substation, is used latest Technology as GIS S/S so, it is the best area for practical knowledge of Electrical Equipment. Managers are very good, co-workers so helpful and co-operative.The hardest job is planing part of day to day work because of 132000 volt available in working area. Any kind of mistake reason of death.The most enjoyable part of the job, the get together party after completion of major over hauling of Electrical bay maintenance.
Operational Excellence
Manager Mining (Current Employee), Joda (Orissa)January 13, 2013
Pros: free lunch and breakfast
Cons: odd hours
I am looking after the Mining operation which include scheduling, planning and coordination between Mining, Plant and Maintenance to ensure quality, quantity and safety of operation.
Everyday start with new challenges and problems and need to take immediate action to mitigate them. sometimes it comes in the form of increasing operational efficiency, sometimes in reducing cost, and sometimes in increasing the safety standard of the workplace.
Hardest part of the job is manpower management at the same time it is the most enjoyable.
Professionalism and Ethics
Head Marketing - Retail (Former Employee), mumbai, MaharashtraJune 9, 2014
Pros: systematic and ethical
Cons: hurdles to grow
Worked in almost more than nine portfolios, well what there is one common thing as far as a typical day at work was start your day with a concrete plan
Learned professionalism, ethics, systems, process, etc.
Managing was much on professional environment, supportive co-workers
Hardest part of the job was to get the decision implemented due to hurdles on the way
The most enjoyable part of the job was having freedom to access various resources across the chain of the organization
Great work-life balance
Marketing & Sales (Current Employee), Hyderabad, IndiaJuly 10, 2013
The Tata group is the biggest business conglomerate in India. The best thing about the group is their adherence to the values and ethics in every aspect of the job.

While I enjoyed the challenging assignments in the group, the company also allowed me to pursue my interests in music and tennis providing the perfect work-life balance.

The toughest challenge in the job and also the most enriching aspect is people management. Handling a team of 50 field executives and achieving the targets describes the role
tata steel
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Jajpur, ORJune 20, 2014
Pros: good compensation, best in the market plus good accomodation facilities, less work
Cons: blame game, highly political environment
Work life balance is great, low work stress, high pay, freedom, co-operative and friendly colleagues, high focus on ethics and curbing ill-practices, high focus on safety and overall well being of employees. Great place to work for a middle aged person with family. Jamshedpur is a good city to settle down, all amenities of a metro but no stress and crowds. Salaries and perks are great.
Good place to learn with a supportive team
Student Intern (Former Employee), Jamshedpur, JHMarch 10, 2015
Pros: cheap and good food in the cafeteria
Cons: no compensation for interns
The typical day would consist of interacting with the assigned project supervisor, having a recapitulating discussion, and then visiting the industry to get better acquainted with the workings of the industry. The employees were supportive and willing to take out valuable time to guide us through the plant. All in all, a memorable experience with numerous learning opportunities.
Job satisfaction
Legal Manager (Current Employee), Jamshedpur, JharkhandNovember 19, 2012
Job at Kolkata, Tata Centre, Tata Steel, was very strenuous. Monitering all the local cases at Kolkata, CMM, City Civil court, & Calcutta High Court.
Besides this interacting with lawyers across the country regarding cases filed by & against Tata Steel.
I had the liberty to take spontaneous decisions with regard to cases & with this liberty and freedom, I could give results to the company.
Even though I was a blunt, outspoken officer, I used to get job satisfaction in delivering results.
Visionary, Productive, Job security & harmonious relations
Asst, Manager Shop floor, Training Manager (Former Employee), JamshedpurOctober 10, 2012
- Before an external audit, keep an check of the records & all the systems at work place, housekeeping etc.
- Good relation with co-workers, subordinates & speriors adds to positive work climate.
- To meet the production target with less man power in adverse conditions, like festive seasons, unfavourable climate were tough challenge.
- Meeting the target as per customers expectations are most enjoyable.
Values & ethics
Asst.Manager, Civil, Town Maintenance (Current Employee), DhanbadMarch 11, 2013
Pros: good bonous
Cons: systems are not proper, uniform to all.
Monotonous job.
I learnt a lot about peoples nature, public relations,bosses favoritism, ego of the top bosses, also some civil engg.
Top Management is very good but local managements are not so good.
Co workers are very good.
The hardest part of the job is people sometimes not try to understand the management policy of the company.

Getting proper resource for carrying uot the job.
Industry